Can the decay process of Nickel-78 be stopped?

• Thread starter jerich1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stable
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making Nickel-78 stable by halting its decay process, but it is determined that it is not possible. The process of beta-decay and the steps involved in the transition are explained, and it is noted that money cannot magically stop the decay. It is suggested that instead, the money could be used to produce a constant supply of Nickel-78.
jerich1000
I'm somewhat new here, so forgive me if I ask an inappropriate question (defined as too far out there; this is supposed to be a legitimate site).

How could it be possible to make Nickel-78 stable, and still remain Nickel-78?

Nickel-78 decays via Beta-minus decay, which means one of its neutrons is turned into a W-boson, which in turn decays into an electron and an antineutrino.

Through the process, one down quark is turned into an up quark, which means it's a flavor change, which means the process is a "weak decay", or decay via the weak force.

I've listed the above info to highlight that there are a number of steps invovled in the entire transition. Can any of those steps be halted, thereby halting the decay process?

The quick answer, of course, is no. But if someone were to hire you for an infinite amount of money to stop the process , what change to the process could you make?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jerich1000 said:
I'm somewhat new here, so forgive me if I ask an inappropriate question (defined as too far out there; this is supposed to be a legitimate site).

How could it be possible to make Nickel-78 stable, and still remain Nickel-78?

Nickel-78 decays via Beta-minus decay, which means one of its neutrons is turned into a W-boson, which in turn decays into an electron and an antineutrino.

Through the process, one down quark is turned into an up quark, which means it's a flavor change, which means the process is a "weak decay", or decay via the weak force.

I've listed the above info to highlight that there are a number of steps invovled in the entire transition. Can any of those steps be halted, thereby halting the decay process?

The quick answer, of course, is no. But if someone were to hire you for an infinite amount of money to stop the process , what change to the process could you make?

Thanks

There is no way that I know of to do what you describe, unless money has some magical ability to halt beta-decay.

I was expecting the answer, "No, but can I have the money anyway?"

jerich1000 said:
I was expecting the answer, "No, but can I have the money anyway?"

That would also be a really good answer. :) All kidding aside, I don't think it's possible. You would be better off using that money to make a constant supply of Nickel-78, right?

1. What is Nickel-78 and why is it unstable?

Nickel-78 is a radioactive isotope of nickel with 28 protons and 50 neutrons. It is unstable because it has an excess of neutrons, making it more prone to radioactive decay to achieve a more stable state.

2. Why is it important to make Nickel-78 stable?

Nickel-78 is a key element in nuclear reactions and is used in the production of medical isotopes. However, its unstable nature makes it difficult to handle and limits its applications. Making it stable would allow for safer and more efficient use in various industries.

3. What methods are being explored to make Nickel-78 stable?

Scientists have been experimenting with different methods to make Nickel-78 stable, including neutron capture, proton capture, and beta decay. Some studies have also focused on changing the proton-to-neutron ratio through nuclear reactions.

4. Is it possible to make Nickel-78 stable in a laboratory setting?

Yes, it is possible to make Nickel-78 stable in a laboratory setting. However, it requires high-energy particle accelerators and advanced technology. The process is also highly challenging and has not yet been successfully achieved.

5. What are the potential benefits of stabilizing Nickel-78?

Stabilizing Nickel-78 would have numerous benefits, including expanding its use in nuclear reactions and medical applications. It could also provide insights into the fundamental properties of nuclear matter and contribute to our understanding of the universe.