1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make the best cart

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must build a cart that is no more than 30cm long, 20 cm wide, and 20 cm tall. The maximum weight of the cart is 5 newtons or a mass of 500 grams. I have to use materials found around the house. The wheels must be made of something that has never been used as a wheel before. The cart must have at least 2 wheels.

It will be rolled off a ramp, can't push it.

I'm wanted to know what the best idea would be to make this, my Physics teacher won't give out any hints. I figured someone on here would know what to make it out of.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could use wood for the body and cd's for the wheels?

Thanks,
    Bologna
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can expect to see many of your classmates with CDs for wheels. It will work, but how much of the grade is for uniqueness? Look around the house for round things and cylindrical things that can be cut into disks. Game pieces, curtain rods, dowels, etc. Don't think of it as a task, have fun with it.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    The main portion of the grade is how far the cart will go.

Creativeness is only worth 10%

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    So nobody can help me out here?

6. Sep 10, 2010 #5
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook