Maximizing Functions: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter killersanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function and maximizing it. The individual is stuck at a certain point and seeks help in finding the maximum value. They eventually solve the problem and find the maximum value to be 56.25lbs.
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I set y(t) to 0. If this is the case, I get:
0 = -100e^(-1/20t) + 150e^(-1/40t)

How do I get rid of the e's? I'm not sure how with the numbers is front. Without the numbers in front I know I could rise them to ln.

Nevermind, I got it...56.25lbs...

Hey killersanta.. it seems like this is probably what you've done, but you should have set y'(t) to 0, not y(t). Considering you get an answer which seems reasonable and is not 0, it seems like you've self-corrected already.. but just to be sure.

Yeah, I caught that. Thank you though.

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of numbers, where each input has a unique output. In other words, a function is a rule that assigns one value (output) to another value (input).

2. How do I find the maximum value of a function?

To find the maximum value of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the input value that makes the derivative equal to zero. This input value corresponds to the maximum value of the function.

3. Can a function have more than one maximum value?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximum values. These are known as local maxima. To find all local maxima, you must take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. The input values that satisfy this equation correspond to the local maxima of the function.

4. Are there any methods for maximizing a function without calculus?

Yes, there are some numerical methods for maximizing a function without using calculus. These methods involve repeatedly evaluating the function at different input values and adjusting the interval of values until the maximum is found. However, these methods may not always be accurate and may require more computational power.

5. Can a function have an infinite maximum value?

No, a function cannot have an infinite maximum value. In order for a function to have a maximum value, it must be bounded above. This means that there is a finite value that the function cannot exceed. If a function is unbounded, it does not have a maximum value.