How to measure ion energy in a plasma?

In summary, the standard way to measure ion temperatures in a plasma is using a Langmuir probe, which has been used for a long time to measure plasma characteristics, including electron temperature. However, there are other methods available depending on the specific situation. It is not clear what method would be most applicable in this case, but looking through Review of Scientific Instruments may provide some insight. Additionally, ion beam optics may also be useful in certain scenarios.
cmb
I was looking at things today and read (on wiki) that the use of Thompson Scattering reveals electron temperature in a plasma, not ion temperature. I thought that's how ion temp was measured (or maybe it is and the wiki text was incomplete)?

Could someone please clarify how ion temperatures in a plasma are measured?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard way to do this is using a Langmuir probe.

bobob said:
The standard way to do this is using a Langmuir probe.
Really?

Surely the principle of a Langmuir probe is that the electrons are more mobile than ions by orders of magnitude, and the probe measures the fundamental behaviour of those?

I am aware that there are some long winded theories about measuring ion temperatures with Langmuir probes, but I think they are very limited in the scope and theory of what can be done.

I don't think your reply is correct.

Well, Langmuir probes have been used for a long time to measure plasma characteristics, including electron temperature. You can go do a search and find that out for yourself easily enough. If you want to do something different or if a Langmuir probe does not easily lend itself to your particular situation, then you need to find a method that applies to your particular situation, since what other methods are available sort of depend on what you are doing. You might want to start looking through Review of Scientific Intruments to see what is most applicable to your particular situation.

This forum is like milking a stone.

I know about Langmuir probes, thanks, and don't need to read any more about them.

I just want some FACTS about measuring IONS!

How are ion energies measured in a plasma? (My first post was clearly saying I am not interested in measuring electrons.)

Sorry, my mistake. For some reason, I thought the electrons were what you were trying measure. Sorry for misreading. My familiarity with doing tht sort of thing with ions would be more confined to ion beam optics, which is probably not useful in this context.

1. How is ion energy measured in a plasma?

The most common method for measuring ion energy in a plasma is through the use of a Langmuir probe. This device consists of a small metal electrode that is inserted into the plasma. By measuring the current collected by the electrode, the ion energy can be determined.

2. What is the range of ion energies that can be measured in a plasma?

The range of ion energies that can be measured in a plasma depends on the type of plasma and the specific probe used. However, in general, ion energies can range from a few electron volts to several hundred electron volts.

3. Can ion energy be measured in real-time?

Yes, ion energy can be measured in real-time using a Langmuir probe. The current collected by the probe can be continuously monitored and recorded, providing real-time data on the ion energy in the plasma.

4. Are there any other methods for measuring ion energy in a plasma?

Yes, there are other methods for measuring ion energy in a plasma, such as using a retarding field analyzer or a mass spectrometer. However, these methods are often more complex and require more specialized equipment.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of ion energy measurements in a plasma?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of ion energy measurements in a plasma, including the plasma density and temperature, the type of probe used, and any external magnetic fields present. It is important to carefully calibrate the probe and account for these factors to ensure accurate measurements.