Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to measure relativistic velocities on Earth?

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    This question has came up to my mind and I think it really isn't easy as it sounds.

In Newtonian physics we could use the Earth as the basic frame and compare velocities of cars, planes etc. on our planet. But in relativistic physics, things get complicated because, as we are in a non-intertial frame, we may use different coordinate systems and therefore get different relative velocities of things on Earth. So, my questions is, what is the standard or most used way to define velocities wrt to Earth in relativistic physics? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That the Earth is not an inertial reference frame by virtue of its rotation and orbit. This is not unique to special relativity. This is true in Newtonian physics as well. There's no inherent greater difficulty of measuring speeds in special relativity than there is in Newtonian physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook