Measuring Rest Length While Moving

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a question involving an object with a reflector and a moving emitter. The total time for the emitter to make two passes in opposite directions is calculated using time dilation and Lorentz transforms. However, there is a suggestion to simplify the method and measure in the rest frame instead.
phyti
I don't remember seeing this solution to the question.

Imagine an object of length d with a reflector on the far end (x=4).
A moves past the object at speed a, emitting a signal at the origin in the positive x direction. A makes one pass in the +x direction, reverses and makes one pass in the -x direction.
Relative to U, with c=1, a=.4:
time out is the same for both passes, t0=d/c.
return time-pass 1, t1=t0(1-a)/(1+a)
return time-pass 2, t2=t0(1+a)/(1-a)
with time dilation for A;
total time-pass 1, T1=2t0*sqrt ((1-a)/(1+a))
total time-pass 2, T2=2t0*sqrt ((1+a)/(1-a))
t0=.5sqrt(T1*T2)
Example:
d=.5sqrt(5.24*12.16) = 4.0

measuring rest length.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right, but the methodology seems overly complex to me. I am required to decelerate from +a to -a. Why not just stop at zero and measure in the rest frame? Or just use the Lorentz transforms, given that I need to know the velocity precisely enough to sign flip it?

Ibix said:
Looks right, but the methodology seems overly complex to me. I am required to decelerate from +a to -a. Why not just stop at zero and measure in the rest frame? Or just use the Lorentz transforms, given that I need to know the velocity precisely enough to sign flip it?
I agree with simplicity. Was just making calculations for doppler effects, and thought this would work, but needed another opinion.
Thanks.

What is the purpose of measuring rest length while moving?

The purpose of measuring rest length while moving is to determine the change in an object's length when it is in motion. This can help scientists understand the effects of motion on objects and can also be used to calculate other important factors such as velocity and acceleration.

What are some common methods for measuring rest length while moving?

Some common methods for measuring rest length while moving include using a ruler or measuring tape, a stroboscope, and video analysis software. These methods involve capturing the movement of an object and then using mathematical calculations to determine its rest length.

How accurate are these measurements?

The accuracy of measurements taken while an object is in motion depends on several factors such as the precision of the measuring tool, the speed and direction of the object's movement, and any external forces that may be acting on the object. Generally, the more precise the measuring tool and the more controlled the experiment, the more accurate the measurements will be.

What are the key components of a measurement of rest length while moving?

The key components of a measurement of rest length while moving include the starting and ending positions of the object, the time duration of the movement, and the distance traveled. These components are used to calculate the object's velocity and acceleration, which can provide valuable information about its motion.

Why is it important to consider rest length while measuring an object's motion?

Considering rest length is important because it allows scientists to accurately calculate an object's velocity and acceleration, which are crucial factors in understanding its motion. Ignoring rest length can lead to inaccurate measurements and incorrect conclusions about an object's movement.