How to measure water flowing from a washing machine pump?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a cost-effective way to measure the volume and flow of water from a washing machine. The original poster suggests using an electronic component such as a coil of copper wire and a microcontroller for electromagnetic measurement. However, other members suggest using existing flow meters, such as a 'Mag Meter', a dP device, or a thermal device. The original poster is looking for a solution that costs around $25, but it is suggested that this may not be possible with the mentioned methods. The conversation ends with a suggestion to clarify the purpose of the measurement in order to find a better solution.
Brad_805
Hi all
Am trying to find a way to measure the vol/time flow of water from the washing machine. Is there an electronic component that can be used like a coil of copper wire over the tube and the do something with a microcontroller perhaps and it figures out much flow? by electromagnetic measurement?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there
Welcome to PF :smile:

Brad_805 said:
Is there an electronic component that can be used like a coil of copper wire over the tube and the do something with a microcontroller perhaps and it figures out much flow? by electromagnetic measurement?
water is neither magnetic nor electromagnetic
there's zillions of flowmeters available ...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=water+flow+meter+suppliers&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSRDave

Likes Bystander
davenn said:
there's zillions of flowmeters available ...
Dynamic range is another matter; admittedly I've not been all that active recently, but "flow-rates" have, in my past experience, seldom exceeded 10 percent accuracy outside a very limited dynamic range, single O(m).

Likes Asymptotic
I want to make it from parts, cost maybe $25.00 I know there are flow meters for sale. wanted to make it from scratch

Stopwatch and a bucket. Thats less than $25.

Likes sophiecentaur, Asymptotic, davenn and 1 other person
pedro the swift said:
Stopwatch and a bucket. Thats less than $25.
So the requirement here is to have an electronic sensor and microcontroller that measures the instantaneous d/dt flow, sending out flow measurements with a time stamp. The real question is what mechanism is used in this industry to measure water flow? what electronic apparatus, device, sensor, circuit or thing would be put inline if needed or around the hose or at the point where water exits the hose to measure the realtime flow. Or if there is no way known by science to measure water flow electronically? then that's the answer.

Likes Brad_805 and russ_watters
There are several ways to measure your water flow. These include:

a 'Mag Meter' (requires that the water be slightly conductive) -these are commercially available - I've never 'rolled my own.'

A dP device - insert an orifice and measure the flow-related pressure drop - this is a pretty standard approach.

A thermal device - measure the water temp and measure the power required to maintain a heated probe at a slightly higher temp. This is a common way to precisely measure gas flow - it will work with water.

I don't think you'll get near $25 with any of them, unless you have a pretty good junk box and mad skills.

Likes Asymptotic and Brad_805
Brad_805 said:
Am trying to find a way to measure the vol/time flow of water from the washing machine.
You will likely get better answers if you tell us more about what problem you're actually trying to solve. By far the most cost-effective and practical way of measuring the flow from a washing machine is a bucket and a stopwatch... but if that answer isn't what you looking for, then there must be other constraint as well.

Are you by any chance trying to adapt a washing machine motor for some purpose other than washing clothes? If so, tell us what you're trying to do and see what the collective experience of this group can contribute.

Likes Asymptotic, russ_watters and Bystander
Dullard said:
There are several ways to measure your water flow. These include:

a 'Mag Meter' (requires that the water be slightly conductive) -these are commercially available - I've never 'rolled my own.'

A dP device - insert an orifice and measure the flow-related pressure drop - this is a pretty standard approach.

A thermal device - measure the water temp and measure the power required to maintain a heated probe at a slightly higher temp. This is a common way to precisely measure gas flow - it will work with water.

I don't think you'll get near $25 with any of them, unless you have a pretty good junk box and mad skills.
Well the dp device sensing pressure drop may be the best to start with. problem is that in the washer, water flow is say 100% then it drops and tapers off so thermal may not work on the partial flow. Used to have a lot in the junk boxes. people called me a hoarder? I just needed a larger shop. Sadly I have next to no junk now.

Nugatory said:
You will likely get better answers if you tell us more about what problem you're actually trying to solve. By far the most cost-effective and practical way of measuring the flow from a washing machine is a bucket and a stopwatch... but if that answer isn't what you looking for, then there must be other constraint as well.

Are you by any chance trying to adapt a washing machine motor for some purpose other than washing clothes? If so, tell us what you're trying to do and see what the collective experience of this group can contribute.
Well... I don't know how to explain it better, If I said what its for? then the discussion would move away from trying to measure water flow, it is not some hack of the washing machine, its a standard washer.

having an electronic sensor thing that sends digitized flow info 24/7 I think the bucket idea may not be ideal. to calibrate it perhaps? sure. I wanted to know the mechanisms for sensing water flow thru a pipe, what reacts with the water? if a coil was placed over the pipe and the coil was part of a tank circuit with some freq range, and water passes in the pipe would the freq change?

Brad_805 said:
If I said what its for? then the discussion would move away from trying to measure water flow
The problem is that unless we know what it is for, we do not know what cost/benefit tradeoffs are relevant. One cannot choose a good design unless one knows the constraints under which one is operating and the design goals one is working to optimize.

Just to add another possibility... flexible tubing and a spring scale to measure centrifugal force around a curve in the tube. Of course, good calibration would probably need to compensate for pressure in the line as well.

Likes russ_watters, Asymptotic and Brad_805
Well I mean its a microcontroller and then some wires going to some kind of sensor, or some kind of sensor unit that's powered and all it does is quantify flow. Is there nothing water reacts to? magnetic field zero, charge zero are there no fundamental forces known that water reacts to? yes the spring idea is perhaps very workable, how much deflection happens to some plate as the hose comes up and bends down into the drain pipe, add a device the water hose plugs into, water hits a plastic flap held shut by a spring. water dripping onto the flap would push it some amount, then the trick is to find the conversion sensor to measure that flap

Brad_805 said:
Is there nothing water reacts to? magnetic field zero, charge zero are there no fundamental forces known that water reacts to?

as far as I'm aware, nothing in a way that would help you measure the flow

building your own for $25 probably isn't going to happen

What is your electronics experience ( be honest, don't exaggerate) ?
You will have to buy the flow sensor and that could easily cost more than $25 on its own
( I haven't specifically priced them, have you ??) let alone the rest of the electronics, the
time programming your micro to work with the data from the sensor

I gave you a whole page of links

Likes Asymptotic
Another consideration is you propose to measure gray water flow rate from the washer whih will be loaded with dirt, fibers and other debris, and tend to clog certain types of flow meters.

Likes davenn and Brad_805
Brad_805 said:
So the requirement here is to have an electronic sensor and microcontroller that measures the instantaneous d/dt flow, sending out flow measurements with a time stamp.
How often? And are you sure you mean instantaneous and not cumulative?

Likes Brad_805
What is your electronics experience ( be honest, don't exaggerate) ?

extensive. about 45 years, a lot of school, a lot of design, test. Worked with and owned tv repair shops, fixed tube-transistor and newer, a lot of electronics work on a lot of things for many companies over the decades. still learning, always new things I didnt know.

You will have to buy the flow sensor and that could easily cost more than $25 on its own

--No, I want to make the flow sensor, there has to be some way.

( I haven't specifically priced them, have you ??) let alone the rest of the electronics, the
time programming your micro to work with the data from the sensor

--I also do programming, RT embedded is fun.

let me look for that list. One of my problems today is that I had to give up just about ALL of my junk, things, tools, spools of wire large/small, connectors, circuits, chips, passives... a small fortune in parts. don't have access to my stereo scope nor hot air soldering tool, or all the automotive tools. most of those are gone. so instead of just try something? I don't have anything to work with, its a very depressing feeling, literally. Then being employed part time, there isn't a budget to buy anything

russ_watters said:
How often? And are you sure you mean instantaneous and not cumulative?
Need both but need to rate d/dt and then the total, but would summarize

Asymptotic said:
Another consideration is you propose to measure gray water flow rate from the washer whih will be loaded with dirt, fibers and other debris, and tend to clog certain types of flow meters.
Thats a great point, its gray water. so a plastic flap being deflected over a spring and then a 3 axis resolver chip glued to the flap, they cost about $1 glued to the hinge. then map out xyz and make a correction factor chart, and the microcontroller would calculate based on what it gets from that resolver chip. probably a good way to go

Brad_805 said:
Need both but need to rate d/dt and then the total, but would summarize
How often?

Likes Brad_805
russ_watters said:
How often?
I think a plastic flap with a 3d resolver chip on the hinge fed to the microcontroller would work, 100 samples/sec should work? then calibrate with known volumes of water, etc

You can buy a flow meter for $10 or less that will work for you, provided you're not looking for high accuracy. But since you don't want to buy one you could copy that design. If you do an internet search you'll find an example of someone who did that. I turned up two different inexpensive build-your-own-flowmeter designs in five minutes of googling.

Likes Brad_805
JT Smith said:
You can buy a flow meter for $10 or less that will work for you, provided you're not looking for high accuracy. But since you don't want to buy one you could copy that design. If you do an internet search you'll find an example of someone who did that. I turned up two different inexpensive build-your-own-flowmeter designs in five minutes of googling.

Ok I found some ideas but one of the purposes of asking here was to ask about the fundamental physical properties of water flow measurement; what reacts with water, or actually gray water. Maybe gray water is more reactive? will gray soap rinse water store an electric charge? but that may not be good,

Brad_805 said:
I think a plastic flap with a 3d resolver chip on the hinge fed to the microcontroller would work, 100 samples/sec should work? then calibrate with known volumes of water, etc
That's a really, really high sampling rate.

Brad_805 said:
Ok I found some ideas but one of the purposes of asking here was to ask about the fundamental physical properties of water flow measurement; what reacts with water, or actually gray water.

You're all over the place. It is one thing to tinker with a DIY flow measurement. But if you want to understand science, it takes serious study. Asking questions on the Internet is a very poor learning strategy.

So please decide. Would you like suggestions on a DIY project, or suggestions on a course of studies?

anorlunda said:
You're all over the place. It is one thing to tinker with a DIY flow measurement. But if you want to understand science, it takes serious study. Asking questions on the Internet is a very poor learning strategy.

So please decide. Would you like suggestions on a DIY project, or suggestions on a course of studies?
Seriously? you can't follow what I said, and if you read all the posts, came up with an impossible answer solving a water flow problem for cheap? I chose a physics group that has educated people responding in a peer fashion; if one disagrees? they can correct the other. I want to learn far more about science, if not for this need to earn money for rent, bills and food my entire existence would be r/d.

By all means! I want to study and learn more, but at no time have I been "all over the place". In a couple days was able to come up with a concept to measure flow that likely has good accuracy, its now time to prototype and test the mechanisms

If you have suggestions on studying? I am interested.

russ_watters said:
That's a really, really high sampling rate.
How about 50 samples/sec?

Brad_805 said:
If you have suggestions on studying? I am interested.

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I don't know your background. Many people start with Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics
Perhaps that's not relevant to your interest.

But I stand by what I said, that asking questions and reading short answers is a very poor strategy for learning. That is why we have textbooks. Students get to ask questions after reading the book and listening to the lectures.

Likes russ_watters and Brad_805
anorlunda said:
I'm not trying to be pedantic. I don't know your background. Many people start with Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics
Perhaps that's not relevant to your interest.

But I stand by what I said, that asking questions and reading short answers is a very poor strategy for learning. That is why we have textbooks. Students get to ask questions after reading the book and listening to the lectures.

Right, so without backgrounds and all, people can be just a bulletin board voice not implying a timeline of abilities. And since time is more important than perfect text in a forum? people can sound one way but mean another.

Im still learning, and like to learn. here I want to refresh my recollection of physical properties involved by those who are freshly into theory. info/speculate, anything is fine. Already did web searches, want those who are involved to comment because it has a peer review kind of element to it.

by all means if you want to share education info I am happy to check it out

Brad_805 said:
How about 50 samples/sec?
How about 1 sample every 10 seconds? Why do you need it that fast?

Have you researched the types of flow meters people have pointed out? You really should be doing a lot of your own research based the types of flow meters we've told you about. Your requirements don't make sense and don't jive with what you are telling us you want to do or what is available in the industry. You really need to put a lot more effort into this if you want the result of this discussion or your project to be useful.

Brad_805 said:
Ok I found some ideas but one of the purposes of asking here was to ask about the fundamental physical properties of water flow measurement; what reacts with water, or actually gray water. Maybe gray water is more reactive? will gray soap rinse water store an electric charge? but that may not be good,

That wasn't clear from your original post. It seems like you're asking two questions: (1) how do you measure the flow at some unstated resolution; and (2) can you measure it non-intrusively. Perhaps you can't break into the outlet line to add a flowmeter? Or maybe you're just curious? Who knows?

I googled and very quickly found answers to both questions I assume you are asking, although I think to do it non-intrusively is going to be more expensive than your budget would allow. It's not hard using the web that way and far more effective than asking questions on forums. But maybe effectively obtaining answers isn't your primary goal.

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
Look up Peristaltic pump and use it backwards.

Sorry for the caps i cut & pasted it feom Wikipedia

Likes 256bits
<h2>1. How do I measure the flow rate of water from a washing machine pump?</h2><p>To measure the flow rate of water from a washing machine pump, you will need a flow meter. This device measures the volume of water passing through it in a given amount of time, usually in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).</p><h2>2. What type of flow meter should I use to measure water flow from a washing machine pump?</h2><p>There are various types of flow meters available, but the most commonly used for measuring water flow from a washing machine pump is a paddlewheel flow meter. This type of flow meter has a small paddle that rotates as water passes through it, providing an accurate measurement of the flow rate.</p><h2>3. How do I properly install the flow meter?</h2><p>The flow meter should be installed on the discharge pipe of the washing machine pump, as close to the pump as possible. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and ensure that the flow meter is oriented correctly for accurate readings.</p><h2>4. What is the ideal flow rate for a washing machine pump?</h2><p>The ideal flow rate for a washing machine pump is typically between 8 and 12 gallons per minute (GPM). This allows for efficient and effective cleaning without putting too much strain on the pump. However, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific model of washing machine pump being used.</p><h2>5. How often should I measure the water flow from my washing machine pump?</h2><p>It is recommended to measure the water flow from your washing machine pump at least once a year to ensure that it is functioning properly. However, if you notice any changes in the performance of your washing machine or suspect an issue with the pump, it is best to measure the flow rate more frequently to identify any potential problems.</p>

1. How do I measure the flow rate of water from a washing machine pump?

To measure the flow rate of water from a washing machine pump, you will need a flow meter. This device measures the volume of water passing through it in a given amount of time, usually in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

2. What type of flow meter should I use to measure water flow from a washing machine pump?

There are various types of flow meters available, but the most commonly used for measuring water flow from a washing machine pump is a paddlewheel flow meter. This type of flow meter has a small paddle that rotates as water passes through it, providing an accurate measurement of the flow rate.

3. How do I properly install the flow meter?

The flow meter should be installed on the discharge pipe of the washing machine pump, as close to the pump as possible. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and ensure that the flow meter is oriented correctly for accurate readings.

4. What is the ideal flow rate for a washing machine pump?

The ideal flow rate for a washing machine pump is typically between 8 and 12 gallons per minute (GPM). This allows for efficient and effective cleaning without putting too much strain on the pump. However, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific model of washing machine pump being used.

5. How often should I measure the water flow from my washing machine pump?

It is recommended to measure the water flow from your washing machine pump at least once a year to ensure that it is functioning properly. However, if you notice any changes in the performance of your washing machine or suspect an issue with the pump, it is best to measure the flow rate more frequently to identify any potential problems.