Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to measure water pouring from a bottle elevated at angles above the horizontal

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    If I do an experiment where I want to work out how fast a certain amount of water will empty from an ordinary plastic bottle elevated greater than horizontal, what Physics could I apply if I measure the angle at which it is emptied, the height above the ground and how long it took to empty. I know the mass.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Re: How to measure water pouring from a bottle elevated at angles above the horizonta

I'd check into fluid flow thru an orifice. That has to be modelled somewhere.

But in your case I'm pretty sure turbulance, say bubbling and gurgling, would make any such modeling or predicitive effort rather complex. And I'd guess as the water empties the pressure declines slowing the flow.

In other words, it not as simple as predicting the volme of water flow via a fixed size pipe with a fixed pressure.

Believe it or not there is a related discussion here...but beware this one gets complex:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530322&highlight=turbine

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook