Measuring Water Flow From an Elevated Bottle: Physics in Action!

In summary, the best physics to apply in this experiment would be fluid flow through an orifice. However, turbulence and pressure changes may make it difficult to accurately predict the flow rate. Further research and experimentation are recommended.
Angeltas1
If I do an experiment where I want to work out how fast a certain amount of water will empty from an ordinary plastic bottle elevated greater than horizontal, what Physics could I apply if I measure the angle at which it is emptied, the height above the ground and how long it took to empty. I know the mass.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd check into fluid flow thru an orifice. That has to be modeled somewhere.

But in your case I'm pretty sure turbulance, say bubbling and gurgling, would make any such modeling or predicitive effort rather complex. And I'd guess as the water empties the pressure declines slowing the flow.

In other words, it not as simple as predicting the volme of water flow via a fixed size pipe with a fixed pressure.

Believe it or not there is a related discussion here...but beware this one gets complex:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530322&highlight=turbine

1. How does the height of the bottle affect the water flow?

The height of the bottle directly affects the water flow as it determines the potential energy of the water. The higher the bottle, the greater the potential energy, resulting in a faster water flow.

2. What is the relationship between the size of the bottle opening and the water flow?

The size of the bottle opening affects the water flow as it determines the amount of space for the water to flow through. A smaller opening will create a faster flow, while a larger opening will result in a slower flow.

3. Does the type of liquid used affect the water flow?

Yes, the type of liquid used can affect the water flow. Different liquids have different viscosities, which can impact the rate at which the water flows through the bottle.

4. How can I accurately measure the water flow from an elevated bottle?

To accurately measure the water flow, you can use a stopwatch to time how long it takes for a specific amount of water to flow out of the bottle. Repeat the experiment multiple times and calculate an average for more precise results.

5. Does the temperature of the water affect the flow rate?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect the flow rate. Warmer water has a lower viscosity, resulting in a faster flow compared to colder water with a higher viscosity.