How to melt Steel with Electricity?

In summary, there are several methods for melting steel with electricity, including using resistive coils, zapping materials in a microwave, and using a spark gap or plasma cutter. Copper is typically used as the wire material to supply the current, and a layer of slag is formed on the surface of the molten steel to keep oxygen out. The process of melting steel using electricity involves dropping large carbon electrodes into a pot of scrap iron and monitoring and adding various types of metal as needed.
wj
How to melt Steel with Electricity?

The question boils down to concentrating heat.

You can force heat into a crucible with heat from resistive coils.

Or you can zap the right material in a microwave and it will heat up. (Examples have found use graphite, magnetite, and silcon carbonate).

Or maybe a sort of induction furnace could work using a resistive crucible.

Are any of these methods more efficent than the others? What are some standard industrial methods?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe a spark gap is the most common way to melt steel locally.

Njorl

Hey Njorl,

I use to work for the power company and I believe you are correct. I think that they use electrodes directly into the steel. When the steel is cold and first powering up, it creates a lot of havoc(transisits, frequency drag, etc) on the system.

Regards

Plasma cutters.

- Warren

So you attach electrodes to the solid steel and use the heat created by resistance to melt the steel? What material do you use to supply the current?

http://www.plasma-cutter.com/technical.htm [Broken]

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by wj
What material do you use to supply the current?
Are you thinking that if the plasma cutter can cut steel that steel wouldn't work for the wires to supply the current? Not so: the wire just needs to be thicker than the arc. That said, most decent quality wires are made of copper.

Originally posted by dlgoff

I think that they use electrodes directly into the steel.

And Plasma cutters work by superheating gas which cuts the steel.

Are two methods being discussed? one where electrodes run current through the steel, and one where electrodes run current through gas which melts steel?

Method 1)

Power Source -> Wires -> Direct Contact with Steel

or?

Method 2)

Power Source -> Wires -> Gas(Plasma) -> Direct Contact with Steel

Does it make any difference?
I thought that high quality alloys were melted in vacuum to avoid impurities or do you just use a gas medium that will improve the alloy?

Last edited:
Are two methods being discussed? one where electrodes run current through the steel, and one where electrodes run current through gas which melts steel?
The plasma cutter at the link chroot provided is for cutting but I'm not sure that this is used for smelting large vats of steel like what I was thinking.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about melting large quantities!

- Warren

Originally posted by wj
And Plasma cutters work by superheating gas which cuts the steel.

Method 1)

Power Source -> Wires -> Direct Contact with Steel

or?

Method 2)

Power Source -> Wires -> Gas(Plasma) -> Direct Contact with Steel

Does it make any difference?
I thought that high quality alloys were melted in vacuum to avoid impurities or do you just use a gas medium that will improve the alloy?

Some alloys may be this way, but a lot of steel for castings are just a molten pot of steel. I have toured a foundry and I know someone who worked in the EXACT same foundry. Large carbon electrodes are dropped into a pot of scrap iron. The current is turned on and the steel starts to melt. It is actually an arc in an open pot. I believe there were 2 carbon electrodes dropped in side by side. If I recall correctly, they looked red hot. They called this step in the process "arc melt". I believe more is added as the scrap melts and the level goes down because the air space in between the scrap is filled with molten steel. I imagne they watch what the various levels of certain types of metal are and add accordingly. I once asked my friend what type of things they dumped in. His reply was "Anything that will melt." Of course it is unlikely that you would dump aluminum castings in a pot of steel, but you get the picture. He once told me that they got a shipment of Craftsman tools that were returns. He said everyone filled their pockets and headed for Sears. I wonder how many times some tools go around. LOL

Now for your original concern, a layer of 'slag' is formed on the surface of the molten steel. It keeps the oxygen out of the rest of the steel. The same thing can be seen on a pot of molten solder used for dipping circuit boards. You skim the surface right before you dip the board to get a fresh bunch of solder.

I have a book on metal casting. It actually has many plans and suggestions on how to make your own castings. It is a strange process. So crude in some ways, yet very precise and critical in others.

Check out www.steel.org Click on learning center, and how is steel made. Hope this helps. -Mike

Great information!

Thanks

What is the process of melting steel with electricity?

The process of melting steel with electricity is known as electric arc melting. It involves an electric arc, or an intense and sustained electric current, being passed through a conductive material, such as steel. The heat generated from the arc is used to melt the steel.

What kind of electricity is used to melt steel?

The most commonly used electricity for melting steel is alternating current (AC). This is because AC has the ability to produce high levels of heat, which is necessary for melting steel. However, direct current (DC) can also be used, depending on the specific requirements of the melting process.

What are the advantages of melting steel with electricity?

There are several advantages to using electricity for melting steel. Firstly, it is a cleaner and more efficient process compared to traditional methods, such as using fossil fuels. Additionally, the temperature can be easily controlled, resulting in a more precise melting process. Electric arc melting also allows for the use of different types of materials, such as scrap metal, which helps to reduce waste.

What are the safety precautions that need to be taken when melting steel with electricity?

Safety is of utmost importance when working with electricity to melt steel. It is important to ensure that all equipment is properly grounded and insulated to prevent any electric shocks. Protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should also be used to protect against heat and potential splashes of molten metal. Proper training and supervision are also necessary to prevent accidents.

What are the limitations of melting steel with electricity?

While electric arc melting is a highly efficient and precise method of melting steel, it does have some limitations. For example, the size and shape of the steel being melted can affect the efficiency of the process. Additionally, the initial set-up costs for equipment and electricity can be high. It is also important to consider the environmental impact of using electricity, as it may contribute to carbon emissions.