How to model relative friction in ansys (FEM software)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of relative friction coefficient in ANSYS and how to set it. The speaker mentions putting a contact element between two materials, but is unsure how to use the relative friction in ANSYS. They also mention a box named "Friction Coefficient" and a box for material id, which may not be the same as the relative friction between two surfaces.
Pellefant
When you have friction between two surfaces, then u use the relative friction coefficient right. But how do i do that with ansys? I have put contact element between two different materials, but it doesn’t seems as I can use the relative friction in ansys. ...

This is the possibilities i seems to have if i want to set friction coefficient ..
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/993/contactfrictionux5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps you missed the box named "Friction Coefficient" when you looked?!

Yes but above that box, it is a box that says material id, which means that i give a friction coefficient for both materials, which hardly is the same as the relative friction between two surfaces

Kindly Pellefant ...

1. What is relative friction and why is it important in modeling in ANSYS?

Relative friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In ANSYS, it is important to model relative friction because it affects the accuracy of the simulation and can significantly impact the results. Without considering relative friction, the simulation may not accurately reflect real-world conditions.

2. How is relative friction modeled in ANSYS?

In ANSYS, relative friction can be modeled using the Coulomb or Tresca friction model. The Coulomb model assumes that the frictional force is proportional to the normal force between the two surfaces, while the Tresca model takes into account the shear stress and yield strength of the materials in contact. The appropriate model to use depends on the specific materials and conditions being simulated.

3. What are the key parameters to consider when modeling relative friction in ANSYS?

The key parameters to consider when modeling relative friction in ANSYS include the friction coefficient, the contact pressure, and the surface roughness of the materials in contact. These parameters can significantly impact the frictional force and must be carefully chosen based on the specific materials and conditions being simulated.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of the relative friction model in ANSYS?

To validate the accuracy of the relative friction model in ANSYS, it is important to compare the simulation results with experimental data or analytical solutions. This can help identify any discrepancies and fine-tune the model parameters to improve the accuracy of the simulation.

5. Can relative friction be varied throughout the simulation in ANSYS?

Yes, relative friction can be varied throughout the simulation in ANSYS. This can be done by defining the friction coefficient as a function of other parameters, such as velocity or temperature. This allows for a more realistic representation of the changing frictional conditions during the simulation.