Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Not be Bored.

1. Nov 27, 2004 #1
    "How to Not be Bored."

Today i have seen the light.

I have understood the reason for most of my sinful acts (perceive the word "sinful" in any way you choose to). It is boredom which causes me to do what i later regret. It is isolation from anything productive and healthy to my own mind and body. It seems that i am quite a busy person; although when i do have the time, i choose to do something i strongly bemoan afterwards.

How do we refrain from boredom? How do you refrain from boredom?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2004 #2
    extreme insanity seems to work for me.

4. Nov 27, 2004 #3
    I think i have answered my own question:

How then, can we arouse curiosity?

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4
    Is this another one of tribdog's antics?

This was a serious question.

By "sinful acts" I also incorporate addiction. Addiction to sex, food, television, and so on. Addiction to what harms and exploits us. I have found an interesting passage regarding Buddhism -- knowing that Buddhism aims to get rid of all sinful human desires.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2004
  6. Nov 27, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Idle hands are the devil's workshop?

Work work, learn learn, and don't forget to play.

7. Nov 27, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like to have books around...so, even if I'm cut off from PF I'll survive for a couple of days.

8. Nov 27, 2004 #7
    But that does not sound like "curiosity". Which i understand i should be striving for. It sounds more like forced labour. How do i arouse curiosity?

9. Nov 27, 2004 #8
    You have excused your actions as the result of boredom. If you found something truly worthwhile and began doing it routinely would boredom still deserve the credit?

10. Nov 27, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, idle hands are definitely the devil's workshop. That's why I keep mine busy typing posts on PF when I'm in danger of getting bored. :approve:

But, yep, when I'm cut off from the internet, it's reading that I do a lot of. Or the unfinished crafts and puzzles inhabiting my basement. I want a lego set for Christmas, that should keep my hands busy. :biggrin: Hey, you're NEVER too old for Legos!

11. Nov 27, 2004 #10
    Okay, you want a serious answer?
    Clean out your ears and open your eyes. How the hell can you be bored? Look around there's a world full of things to do. I'd probably be bored too if I sat around waiting for someone to tell me what to do. Get out and do something and you won't be bored.

12. Nov 27, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the idea is that you learn and look until something hooks you.

When I started high school I hated math with a passion. My dad has an engineering background and he forced me [nearly at gun point if needed] to take the college prep classes in spite of my complete lack of interest. We were at war for three years and I made every effort to undermine his wishes. At one point I ditched something like a third of all school days. Then, as a HS senior I took my first real physics class... That was the beginning of a lifelong passion. Over twenty five years later I have a physics degree and I still talk with my best friend [after Tsu of course] weekly - my HS physics teacher.

13. Nov 27, 2004 #12
    Thank you. I appreciate the frankess. Seriously.

Don't mistake me. I have several hobbies. But sometimes, i see my passions override my reason. And it sort of seems boredom is the reason for that.

Let's hope i find the initiative to do so.

Thank you all.

14. Nov 28, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You take it, you don't find it. :smile:

15. Nov 28, 2004 #14
    wow, that's deep

16. Nov 28, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me it makes all of the difference. If I waited until I felt like it I might never do anything but screw around.

17. Nov 28, 2004 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Two suggestions to keep your curiosity peaked:

1) Get an encyclopedia. The latest paper versions are mostly ridiculous- $1000+, but most CD/DVD versions are around $50-100. Or here's the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica for free http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/. http://www.howstuffworks.com/ is also nice for intros to various topics.

2) Fill a clear glass w/ water and grab the following from your kitchen: oil, food coloring, honey, straw (use as stir & dropper). In a well-lit area, mix creatively and observe closely. :!!)

___
    Er, do I have to say most science articles in the 1911 edition are dated? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  18. Nov 28, 2004 #17
    I have my Grandpa's Encyclopedias. I always enjoy reading about The World War.

19. Nov 28, 2004 #18
    I don't really understand it when people say they're bored. I think someone saying they're bored is just another way of expressing "I would rather be doing something other than this." Well, why don't you just get up and do what it is that you're thinking of? If you can't because you're at school or work or whatever, suck it up! That's life. If you're just sitting around your house not doing anything, then you don't really have an excuse.

On another note, there are plenty of "bored" people in the world who choose not to engage in destructive behavior. So you have to question, is the behavior really so much a result of "being bored"? Or is it just an excuse to do things you would probably do anyway?

Anyway, I don't see how anyone could be bored with the Internet around. Unproductive, maybe, but bored? Heh.

20. Nov 28, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

When I was a kid, I used my parents' encyclopedias, which they had bought shortly after they got married. They were generally okay, until I went to do a project on the Vietnam War and discovered it wasn't in the encylopedia. :eek:

21. Nov 28, 2004 #20
    There is nothing I could hope to add, meowxrz's post is perfect.
    ps.please try not to give definitive answers to questions. Kills the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?