How to obtain the Sellmeier equation based on a new material?

• Thread starter david_huang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is about finding the transmission constant beta and higher derivative for a synthesized material used in optical transmission. The first step is to use the Sellmeier equation to describe the refractive indices, and the speaker has already tested various refractive index values at different wavelengths. They are now trying to find the Sellmeier equation, which can be found on Wikipedia. However, the speaker is unable to access the link provided and thanks the other person for their help.
david_huang
Homework Statement
I have synthesize a material used in optical transmission. I want to know its transmission constant beta and its higher derivative. So the first step is to use the Sellmeier equation to describe its refractive indices. And I have already tested a series of refractive indices value at different wavelengths. How to get ist Sellmeier equation ?
Relevant Equations
$$n=\sqrt{1+\frac{B_1}{\lambda^2-C_1}+\frac{B_2}{\lambda^2-C_2}+\frac{B_3}{\lambda^2-C_3}}$$
I have synthesize a material used in optical trasmission. I want to know its transmission constant beta and its higher derivative. so the first step is to use sellmeier equation to describe its refractive indices. and i have already test a series of refractive indices value in different wavelengh. how to get ist sellmeier equation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
actually i cannot find the link you provide.

maybe this link is forbidden in my place, anyway, thank you very much.

Likes Charles Link
The equation in the link says
$$n^2(\lambda)=1+\frac{B_1\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_1}+\frac{B_2\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_2}+\frac{B_3\lambda^2}{\lambda^2-C_3}$$

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the Sellmeier equation and how is it used in materials science?

The Sellmeier equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the refractive index of a material and its wavelength. It is commonly used in materials science to characterize the optical properties of a material, such as its ability to bend or refract light.

2. How can I obtain the Sellmeier equation for a new material?

In order to obtain the Sellmeier equation for a new material, you will need to perform experiments to measure its refractive index at different wavelengths. This data can then be used to fit the material's refractive index values into the Sellmeier equation, which will give you the coefficients for that specific material.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Sellmeier equation for a new material?

The accuracy of the Sellmeier equation for a new material can be affected by several factors, such as the quality of the experimental data, the wavelength range used in the fitting process, and the complexity of the material's refractive index behavior. It is important to carefully select the appropriate experimental conditions and data analysis methods to ensure the most accurate results.

4. Can the Sellmeier equation be used for all types of materials?

No, the Sellmeier equation is specifically designed for materials with a linear refractive index behavior, meaning that the refractive index does not change significantly with changes in temperature or other external factors. Materials with more complex refractive index behavior may require different equations or models to accurately describe their optical properties.

5. Is it possible to modify the Sellmeier equation for a specific application?

Yes, the Sellmeier equation can be modified or extended to fit specific applications or types of materials. This may involve adding additional terms or coefficients to the equation to account for certain properties or behaviors of the material. However, it is important to carefully validate any modifications to ensure the accuracy and applicability of the equation.