1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to overcome a slump

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    hi everyone I'm so thankful for this forum. I just graduated undergraduate four months ago. I'm in a slump as to preparing for the next step which is graduate school. I want to go to graduate school but I have been procrastinating a long time. The due date for most applications is in december 25 which is about seven weeks away. How do I kick myself back into gear? I think I'm just still in a prolonged break mode after finishing my bachelor's. However, if I don't want to wait another year to apply so I want to get this application over with. Any advice ? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    If you're procrastinating, then your heart is not in this. I suggest taking time off to figure out what you'd rather be doing.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    That's not necessarily true, slumps happen even with things one is passionate about.

To the OP, start getting your letters of recommendation and personal statements ready for the schools you want to go to. What advice is applicable will depend on what you haven't done yet though.

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4
    Thanks for your advice. I agree that slumps happen but it's about time i get back into the game. just a matter of re-mobilizing myself. Unfortunately i haven't done any of the applications yet. The most daunting part is asking for recommendations as I hate doing that but if my professors saved their letters it may be easier to do...

6. Oct 31, 2014 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One thing that can help is to do some more investigating of each school and program you're interested in. If you haven't already, plan a trip to visit the campus, talk to potential supervisors and current graduate students. Critically evaluate all the other factors beyond the program that may be important to you... cost of living, commute times, extra-curricular opportunities, geographical location, etc.

Another thing that can help, once you've decided on the places that you think are the best fit for what you want, is to make a list of everything you're going to need to apply - reference letters, transcripts, personal statement, CV, etc. Then set aside some specific time over the coming week or so to work on those. It's easy to procrastinate if you don't have a definite time that something needs to be accomplished by. Give yourself some deadlines.

7. Nov 5, 2014 #6
    thank you everyone for your advice, i am glad I can get help.

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    thanks i will put a deadline for myself to get started today

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook