How to patent a new bottle

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Lets say that I have for example, an idea for a cool new way to bottle ketsup. How would I go about patenting it and selling it to Heinz?

Answers and Replies

being that getting a patent is such a pain in the butt, and that heinz is pretty happy with their current bottles I'd say just go ahead and write up your plan, get it notarized so you have a date on your idea then send a copy to heinz. if they use it they'll pay you if they don't pay you, you sue them and win easily because you have the proof that you thought of it first.
Is ketchup really spelt ketsup? Catsup?Catchup? Katsup? Ketsoup? make sure you get that right or they probably won't even open your letter, which they probably won't do anyway.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, if you want to go the patent route, you spend about $20,000 on a good patent attorney to help you write the patent and follow through the entire process to get it approved (if you write it yourself or get one of those hack attorneys to do it, you will instead spend $50,000 on litigation when Heinz finds some loophole in your application and insists it infringes on a current design already covered in one of their patents, then makes your bottle without paying you another dime because it's already their patent). After you own the patent rights, you can then negotiate a license with anyone who wants to use your bottle design. You negotiate the fee for them to purchase the license. Keep in mind that unless it's really something spectacular that they couldn't possibly resist, or wouldn't want to see sold to their competitors, they might not be interested. But the licensing is where the money comes from if you have a patent on something you'd never use or market yourself.

check out

"www.intelproplaw.com"[/URL]

A forum that provides answers, from intellectual property lawyers, on various intellectual property questions. Patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
If your cool new idea is to grow the tomatoes in the bottle, don't bother. I already own the rights to it.

Danger said:
If your cool new idea is to grow the tomatoes in the bottle, don't bother. I already own the rights to it.
wow, very good idea. way better than mine. I got a patent on the ketchup paint balls you shoot at your food.

Danger
Gold Member
tribdog said:
I got a patent on the ketchup paint balls you shoot at your food.
Another excellent approach. You should look into teaming up with Serj and his electric paintball gun.

electric paintballs? you'd need a long extention cord

Danger
Gold Member
Hmmm..... a Taser with metalflake paintballs? Add insult to injury.

that's why I always poke a person in the eye after I tell them off. add injury to insult

Danger
Gold Member
It's good that you do it after. If you did it before, they wouldn't be able to see who's telling them off.

what happens if you poke a blind person in the eye? besides getting bit by their dog. would it disable them like it does me?

Danger
Gold Member
If he has a glass eye, you'll break your fingernail.

I knew a guy with a glass eye. He got killed when a pelican flew into it.
I tried to warn him. I yelled "LOOK OUT FOR THAT PELICAN!"
he started swinging his dog around his head, but the dog clipped a guy on a motorcycle and got dragged out of my buddy's hand
It was really sad. but you gotta go on. These things happen

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
:eek: Was the bike okay?!

no, BMW
nice bike, rare. The driver was fully enclosed and it had four wheels. You don't see many of those motorcycles anymore.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
Yeah. :grumpy:
Every time somebody comes up with a really good idea, it gets pulled off the market.

That's why I'm inventing a slingshot.

I had a slingshot once, almost put my eye out.

*Elton John in background*the Cirrrrrrcle ooof Life.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
Before or after you told yourself off?

*time out*
come on guy, what happened? you froze up on me there.
*time in*
danger said:
Before or after you told yourself off?
YES! But how did you know? I never told anyone, 'cept for ol' tripod. tripod's my dog. I got him after he was in freaky motorcycle accident where he lost two legs. Great dog, if you are turning left.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
daniel_i_l said:
Lets say that I have for example, an idea for a cool new way to bottle ketsup. How would I go about patenting it and selling it to Heinz?
The U.S. patent office has useful information - http://www.uspto.gov/

A patent must satisfy 3 criteria:

1. New - it has to different than anything that already exists
2. Useful - it needs to do something useful
3. Non-obvious - this one's tricky, but must pretty much demonstrate that no one else would have thought of this idea.

One does not need a Patent Attorny. A good patent agent is OK, and cheaper. The main idea is to find someone competent.

Also, do not disclose your idea in the public domain. Public or unprotected disclosure will disqualify the patent.

Stay On Topic!!

Danger
Gold Member
tribdog said:
YES! But how did you know? I never told anyone, 'cept for ol' tripod.
Tripod is in my employ. He was, in fact, designed by me specifically to keep tabs on you. He actually lost all 4 legs in that accident, and I replaced 2 of them with prosthetics. (I thought that I had that right-turn problem kicked; must have shelled another bearing. :grumpy: )

tribdog said:
Stay On Topic!!
Yeah!

Oh, I know he lost all four legs and had two replaced with prosthetics, but he had two prosthetic legs before the accident so I didn't count them as being lost, just recycled. There's quite a market in recycled prosthetic limbs. New ones cost an arm and a leg. You gotta be careful though, I knew a guy who bought a defective hook and one day he was out feeding the birds and it misfired and plucked his eye out. He had to get a recycled glass eye and change his prescription on his contact lenses.

Danger, what happened to you? where'd you go?j
you are falling behind. You need to Catch-up. catchup...you know what, it's about time someone came up with a new catchup bottling idea.

Last edited: