Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to patent a new bottle

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Lets say that I have for example, an idea for a cool new way to bottle ketsup. How would I go about patenting it and selling it to Heinz?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    being that getting a patent is such a pain in the butt, and that heinz is pretty happy with their current bottles I'd say just go ahead and write up your plan, get it notarized so you have a date on your idea then send a copy to heinz. if they use it they'll pay you if they don't pay you, you sue them and win easily because you have the proof that you thought of it first.
    Is ketchup really spelt ketsup? Catsup?Catchup? Katsup? Ketsoup? make sure you get that right or they probably won't even open your letter, which they probably won't do anyway.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if you want to go the patent route, you spend about $20,000 on a good patent attorney to help you write the patent and follow through the entire process to get it approved (if you write it yourself or get one of those hack attorneys to do it, you will instead spend $50,000 on litigation when Heinz finds some loophole in your application and insists it infringes on a current design already covered in one of their patents, then makes your bottle without paying you another dime because it's already their patent). After you own the patent rights, you can then negotiate a license with anyone who wants to use your bottle design. You negotiate the fee for them to purchase the license. Keep in mind that unless it's really something spectacular that they couldn't possibly resist, or wouldn't want to see sold to their competitors, they might not be interested. But the licensing is where the money comes from if you have a patent on something you'd never use or market yourself.

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4
    check out

www.intelproplaw.com

A forum that provides answers, from intellectual property lawyers, on various intellectual property questions. Patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc...

6. Nov 14, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

If your cool new idea is to grow the tomatoes in the bottle, don't bother. I already own the rights to it.

7. Nov 14, 2005 #6
    wow, very good idea. way better than mine. I got a patent on the ketchup paint balls you shoot at your food.

8. Nov 14, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Another excellent approach. You should look into teaming up with Serj and his electric paintball gun.

9. Nov 14, 2005 #8
    electric paintballs? you'd need a long extention cord

10. Nov 14, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm..... a Taser with metalflake paintballs? Add insult to injury.

11. Nov 14, 2005 #10
    that's why I always poke a person in the eye after I tell them off. add injury to insult

12. Nov 14, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

It's good that you do it after. If you did it before, they wouldn't be able to see who's telling them off.

13. Nov 14, 2005 #12
    what happens if you poke a blind person in the eye? besides getting bit by their dog. would it disable them like it does me?

14. Nov 14, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

If he has a glass eye, you'll break your fingernail.

15. Nov 14, 2005 #14
    I knew a guy with a glass eye. He got killed when a pelican flew into it.
    I tried to warn him. I yelled "LOOK OUT FOR THAT PELICAN!"
    he started swinging his dog around his head, but the dog clipped a guy on a motorcycle and got dragged out of my buddy's hand
    It was really sad. but you gotta go on. These things happen

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  16. Nov 14, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

:eek: Was the bike okay?!

17. Nov 14, 2005 #16
    no, BMW
    nice bike, rare. The driver was fully enclosed and it had four wheels. You don't see many of those motorcycles anymore.

18. Nov 14, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah. :grumpy:
    Every time somebody comes up with a really good idea, it gets pulled off the market.

19. Nov 14, 2005 #18
    That's why I'm inventing a slingshot.

I had a slingshot once, almost put my eye out.

*Elton John in background*the Cirrrrrrcle ooof Life.

20. Nov 14, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Before or after you told yourself off?

21. Nov 14, 2005 #20
    *time out*
    come on guy, what happened? you froze up on me there.
    *time in*
    YES! But how did you know? I never told anyone, 'cept for ol' tripod. tripod's my dog. I got him after he was in freaky motorcycle accident where he lost two legs. Great dog, if you are turning left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?