Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to perform factorial operation

1. Sep 29, 2003 #1
    I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here it goes.

Could someone explain how I would go about solving for x of x=(5/6)!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2003 #2
    I believe that factorials aren't defined for nonintegers. Perhaps the intent is 5!/6!, which would be 1/6.

4. Sep 29, 2003 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Factorials only work for natural numbers, so 5/6 does not have a factorial.

5. Sep 29, 2003 #4

Njorl

Science Advisor

There is a function that is equivalent to taking factorials that works on real numbers (maybe just positive reals, it's been a while) as well. I believe it is the Gamma function.
    Njorl

6. Sep 29, 2003 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The Gamma function is defined by Γ(z) = ∫0oo tz-1dt

It has the property that n! = Γ(n+1).

This isn't going to be a lot of help in solving the equation though.

7. Sep 29, 2003 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can only take the factorial of a postive integer, thus Γ(n+1) = n! is only true when n is a postive integer.

8. Sep 29, 2003 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually just done some research, using the gamma function you can find values for half-integrals.

9. Sep 29, 2003 #8

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There is a small, yet important omission here. The definition includes a negative exponential:

Γ(z) = ∫0oo tz-1e-tdt

The exponential is important because it makes the integral converge for almost all values of z (the exponential goes to zero much faster than the growth of tz-1).

In particular, for what you want, you can obtain the value as

(5/6)! = Γ(5/6 + 1) = ∫0oot(5/6+1)-1e-tdt

Mathworld has a nice entry for the Gamma function. In the plot, you can see that the value for Γ(1+5/6) = Γ(1.833) is slightly less than one.

10. Sep 29, 2003 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Woops! Sorry. You are actually right. BTW the z in the definition is a complex variable, and the Γ function is meromorphic (it has poles at 0 and negative integers, but is otherwise analytic). And with that proviso, we have the recurrence relation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z).

In the half plane of complex numbers with real part > 1, it can be defined by Γ(z-1) = π/(Γ(z)sin(πz)) = πz/(Γ(1+z)sin(πz)).

11. Sep 29, 2003 #10
    Oops, my bad.

I've looked at the mathworld site, many time actually.

It turns out this problem stems back a few years, and I just realised its not factorial I'm actually wondering about (tried it on my TI-89)

Okay, here is there real problem then. My calculator will give sums for negative numbers and fractions, and I was confused about that.

This is actually a lot less confusing than i thought. Thanks for the input everyone. I remembered wrong:frown: but hey its been a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?