How to Pick the Right Fuse for Your Needs

• Thread starter chinrose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuse
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fuses for over-current protection and the different types of fuses available in the market. The speaker is searching for the most suitable fuse to use based on their load calculation and the theoretical basis of fuse usage. The different types of fuses mentioned are controlled vented power fuse, expulsion fuse unit, nonvented power fuse, power fuse unit, and vented power fuse. The speaker also mentions the importance of balancing the fuse's ability to protect against current spikes and the side-effects of blowing, which includes the release of hot gasses and solid material. They also suggest checking Littlefuse's "Fuseology" article for more information.
chinrose
Hi Guys,

I was finish with my load calculation, and now my problem is what fuse to use. As i surf the net there are lots of Fuse to be found in the market. Although my calculation is base only in theoretical basis, so my question is when to use this following fuse.

1.) Controlled vented power fuse
2.) expulsion fuse unit
3.) Nonvented power fuse
4.) power fuse unit
5.)vented power fuse

i was lost as for theory the use of FUSE is for over-current protection.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want your fuse to protect delicate components against current spikes.
The fuses will have a rated current (at which they "blow") and they will also take some time to blow.
As a side-effect of blowing, hot gasses and solid material will be expelled from where the fuse is.
You have to balance this against what you are protecting.

http://www.electrical-knowhow.com/2012/01/in-previous-topics-in-course-ec-1.html

For theory, check Littlefuse's "Fuseology" article.

1. What is a fuse and what does it do?

A fuse is an electrical safety device that protects circuits from overloading and overheating. It is designed to break the flow of electricity when the current exceeds a certain level, preventing damage to the circuit and potential fires.

2. How do I determine the correct fuse size for my needs?

The correct fuse size is determined by the current rating of the circuit it is protecting. You can find this information on the circuit breaker or in the user manual of the device. Make sure to choose a fuse with a slightly higher rating than the circuit to provide a safety margin.

3. Can I use any type of fuse for my circuit?

No, it is important to choose the correct type of fuse for your circuit. There are different types of fuses such as fast-acting, slow-blow, and time-delay. Each type is designed for specific applications and using the wrong type can result in damage to your circuit or device.

4. What are the factors to consider when picking a fuse?

When choosing a fuse, you need to consider the current rating, voltage rating, interrupting rating, and time-delay characteristics. You should also consider the type of circuit and the type of load it is protecting to ensure the fuse is compatible.

5. Can I replace a fuse with a higher or lower rating?

No, it is important to always replace a fuse with the same rating as the original. Using a higher rated fuse can lead to overloading and potential damage to your circuit, while using a lower rated fuse can cause it to blow prematurely and not provide proper protection.