How to pick locks?

• Thread starter vern8304
  • Start date
vern8304
I would like to know how to pick locks as sometimes, in a rush, I lock my car keys inside the car and each time it costs $50 for a locksmith to get them out for me. Also, it would be handy to know how to pick door locks - sometimes I lock myself out of the house too.

Answers and Replies

Well, the first thing you do is get some good tools. And then you have to select the target. You should thoroughly observe and investigate the house you intend to--wait a second...

cookiemonster

Hehe cookiemonster... :smile:

If I were you I would try not to lock myself out of my house/car, rather than take it as a given that I will and therefore learn how to pick locks. Because if picking locks were easy, you wouldn't have a house or a car to be locked out of. And improving yourself would also do you more good in the long run.

say goodbye to your window and unlock =P

nothing u can do about the house but a car u should able to stick something through the window gap into the car and try to unlock it.

pick lock... i dont know.

Zero
Picking locks is tough...and for the time, expense, and effort of learning how, you could just buy an extra couple fo sets of keys. I used to be able to pick locks. All except the simplest lock would take 30-45 minutes, and there was no guarantee that I could do it at all, let alone under any sort of pressure,

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by Zero
Picking locks is tough...and for the time, expense, and effort of learning how, you could just buy an extra couple fo sets of keys.
I've locked my keyes in my car a number of times. Now I keep an extra key in my wallet: problem solved.

Zero
Originally posted by russ_watters
I've locked my keyes in my car a number of times. Now I keep an extra key in my wallet: problem solved.
It seems like a much better use of your time than buying a lockpicking kit, and spending your evenings trying to pop the lock, doesn't it?

Buy one of those "Hide a Key" thingies, little tin box with a magnet to stick it some place on your car....Much easier...also search this site, and you wil find another thread on lock picking, with details, from a link to a site, that explains everything for you....

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This brings back memories. About 10 or 12 years ago on of my buddies and I hit a local bar and somewhere along the line he realized his keys were in his car. Of course it was locked. So some loser that one of our friends knew came up to help us. He acted like he really knew how to get into that car. He had been in the pokey for armed robbery or something so I thought he maybe did know something. Yeah right. He dicked around for about an hour and couldn't get in there. Finally he took the hint that we were disgusted with his lack of progress so we took the antenna off of the car and bent it around in such a way to slide the lever over and unlock it. Like 5 minutes or so. I shook my head when the guy walked away. I guess criminals ARE in fact stupid.

vern8304
sure, i COULD get an extra set of keys or hide one somewhere... but picking the lock sounds more... exotic somehow. Also, can it really be done with a couple of paperclips?

I think when you actually go and lock yourself out of your car, you're going to be less concerned with the exoticness of how you get into your car and more concerned with actually getting into your car...

cookiemonster

vern8304
Ok, fine. no one tell me how to pick locks. i will get another set of stupid keys.

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by Zero
It seems like a much better use of your time than buying a lockpicking kit, and spending your evenings trying to pop the lock, doesn't it?
And I keep a set of jumper cables in the trunk...

Cliff_J
Science Advisor
Originally posted by vernessy
Ok, fine. no one tell me how to pick locks. i will get another set of stupid keys.

Well simply study how the lock cylinder works and you'll see the difficulty in picking a lock. For a simple one, a kit of 3-4 tools will work. For cars there are master keys and devices that slip between the glass and door seal to open the door. But anyone can build a better mousetrap, and many do.

Here, try this:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

Cliff

hey the how stuff works link is pretty vaild, i think lock picking is pretty cool, espically if you wanna play a joke on your friend, but its really hard to do and take A lot of practice!!! i got the tools at newyears and i can barley pick a padlock, and that still takes me like 1/2 hour to do. its easier to just use a slim jim to get into your car.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Zero said:
It seems like a much better use of your time than buying a lockpicking kit
What good is a lockpicking kit when it is lying in the car or house that you are locked-out-of anyway? :confused:

I have had to reach through the mailbox in the front door several times to pull the keys out of the other side of the lock.. or had to unlock a handle on the inside through a small window above the door of my house :rolleyes: sometimes it's good to have thin arms :redface:

Njorl
Science Advisor
Cars are tough to get into without breaking the glass. Houses are easy. Pretty much every house in the US has a window in or next to the back door. I believe the burglars' union demanded it. While a burglar would just break the glass, you can remove the moulding, and remove the glass without breaking it.

Njorl

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Njorl said:
Cars are tough to get into without breaking the glass.
That is hard to believe when you see a professional lock-picker do it in 3 seconds flat..

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Monique said:
That is hard to believe when you see a professional lock-picker do it in 3 seconds flat..

No, you don't need to break glass. But there are faster/easier methods for getting into cars that picking the locks.

Njorl
Science Advisor
Monique said:

Well, you can pop the lock with a punch-driver, but that's more expensive to repair than the glass. Slim-jims are even better, but just having one is a crime.

Njorl

Hide-a-key and unintended thuggery

vernessy said:
I would like to know how to pick locks as sometimes, in a rush, I lock my car keys inside the car and each time it costs $50 for a locksmith to get them out for me.
A simple solution for this is to keep a spare car-door key in a magnetic hide-a-key box magnetically attached to the underside of the car.

Another solution for chronically-lost car keys is to install a remote door-lock opener and make sure you always carry the remote control (attach it to your pants or such).

Also, it would be handy to know how to pick door locks - sometimes I lock myself out of the house too.
The repo-man sites carry recommendations for learning the trade. Basically, it takes decent tools (and these have to be old-fashioned pick-sets; the electronic picks are just aids and do not actually pick the lock for you), probably a good instruction book (or teacher), and a lot of practice.

For the latter, you can start your practicing with an old doorknob lock. To be a good locksmith (or repo man), you need to have a lot of practice picking a wide variety of locks since those professionals will necessarily be called upon to attack unfamiliar locks; but if you simply want to be able to reliably and quickly pick your own front door then I think you should be able to accomplish that just by practicing picking that one lock. I wouldn't practice with it while it's on the door, however. You should take it off (unless you live in a really rough neighborhood where this could be dangerous) to practice with it inside your home, so people who might see you practicing won't get the idea you're a thug.

If you ever do use this method to enter your home, however, you will look like a thug to uninformed observors. To avoid looking like a thug, as in the case of being locked out of the car a better solution might be to hide a house-key; or, if this is a security risk, to figure out and address why you lock yourself out (maybe better personal organization would help).

For some thought on why it might be a bad idea to look like a thug (or to keep reading materials that thugs keep; or to become known as someone who knows thing thugs tend to know) please see this site.

DO NOT USE THE MAGNETIC HIDE AWAY KEYS!! they suck they usually fall apart, the only time you need them, is the time it fell off of your car. you are better off drilling a hole in the key and bolting it to the frame somewhere

ShawnD
Science Advisor
russ_watters said:

Are you sure that's a good idea? What if you lose your wallet? Whoever finds it has the keys to your house/apartment, the key to your car, and your driver's license which says exactly where you live

Janitor
Science Advisor
drilling a hole in the key and bolting it to the frame somewhere

Knowing me, I'd forget to carry my wrench with me.

:rolleyes:

I used to use one of those 'pull apart' keyrings, doorkeys on both (each) of the rings, always took one with me whenever I got out of the car, ergo always had a car door key on me....much simpler....