Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to pick locks?

1. Mar 20, 2004 #1
    I would like to know how to pick locks as sometimes, in a rush, I lock my car keys inside the car and each time it costs $50 for a locksmith to get them out for me. Also, it would be handy to know how to pick door locks - sometimes I lock myself out of the house too.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2004 #2
    Well, the first thing you do is get some good tools. And then you have to select the target. You should thoroughly observe and investigate the house you intend to--wait a second...

cookiemonster

4. Mar 20, 2004 #3
    Hehe cookiemonster... :smile:

If I were you I would try not to lock myself out of my house/car, rather than take it as a given that I will and therefore learn how to pick locks. Because if picking locks were easy, you wouldn't have a house or a car to be locked out of. And improving yourself would also do you more good in the long run.

5. Mar 20, 2004 #4
    say goodbye to your window and unlock =P

nothing u can do about the house but a car u should able to stick something through the window gap into the car and try to unlock it.

pick lock... i dont know.

6. Mar 20, 2004 #5
    Picking locks is tough...and for the time, expense, and effort of learning how, you could just buy an extra couple fo sets of keys. I used to be able to pick locks. All except the simplest lock would take 30-45 minutes, and there was no guarantee that I could do it at all, let alone under any sort of pressure,

7. Mar 20, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've locked my keyes in my car a number of times. Now I keep an extra key in my wallet: problem solved.

8. Mar 20, 2004 #7
    It seems like a much better use of your time than buying a lockpicking kit, and spending your evenings trying to pop the lock, doesn't it?

9. Mar 20, 2004 #8
    Buy one of those "Hide a Key" thingies, little tin box with a magnet to stick it some place on your car....Much easier...also search this site, and you wil find another thread on lock picking, with details, from a link to a site, that explains everything for you....

10. Mar 20, 2004 #9
    This brings back memories. About 10 or 12 years ago on of my buddies and I hit a local bar and somewhere along the line he realized his keys were in his car. Of course it was locked. So some loser that one of our friends knew came up to help us. He acted like he really knew how to get into that car. He had been in the pokey for armed robbery or something so I thought he maybe did know something. Yeah right. He dicked around for about an hour and couldn't get in there. Finally he took the hint that we were disgusted with his lack of progress so we took the antenna off of the car and bent it around in such a way to slide the lever over and unlock it. Like 5 minutes or so. I shook my head when the guy walked away. I guess criminals ARE in fact stupid.

11. Mar 20, 2004 #10
    sure, i COULD get an extra set of keys or hide one somewhere... but picking the lock sounds more... exotic somehow. Also, can it really be done with a couple of paperclips?

12. Mar 20, 2004 #11
    I think when you actually go and lock yourself out of your car, you're going to be less concerned with the exoticness of how you get into your car and more concerned with actually getting into your car...

cookiemonster

13. Mar 20, 2004 #12
    Ok, fine. no one tell me how to pick locks. i will get another set of stupid keys.

14. Mar 22, 2004 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And I keep a set of jumper cables in the trunk...

15. Mar 22, 2004 #14

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Well simply study how the lock cylinder works and you'll see the difficulty in picking a lock. For a simple one, a kit of 3-4 tools will work. For cars there are master keys and devices that slip between the glass and door seal to open the door. But anyone can build a better mousetrap, and many do.

Here, try this:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

Cliff

16. Mar 30, 2004 #15
    hey the how stuff works link is pretty vaild, i think lock picking is pretty cool, espically if you wanna play a joke on your friend, but its really hard to do and take A lot of practice!!! i got the tools at newyears and i can barley pick a padlock, and that still takes me like 1/2 hour to do. its easier to just use a slim jim to get into your car.

17. Mar 30, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What good is a lockpicking kit when it is lying in the car or house that you are locked-out-of anyway? :confused:

I have had to reach through the mailbox in the front door several times to pull the keys out of the other side of the lock.. or had to unlock a handle on the inside through a small window above the door of my house :rolleyes: sometimes it's good to have thin arms :redface:

18. Mar 30, 2004 #17

Njorl

Science Advisor

Cars are tough to get into without breaking the glass. Houses are easy. Pretty much every house in the US has a window in or next to the back door. I believe the burglars' union demanded it. While a burglar would just break the glass, you can remove the moulding, and remove the glass without breaking it.

Njorl

19. Mar 30, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is hard to believe when you see a professional lock-picker do it in 3 seconds flat..

20. Mar 30, 2004 #19

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't need to break glass. But there are faster/easier methods for getting into cars that picking the locks.

21. Mar 30, 2004 #20

Njorl

Science Advisor

Well, you can pop the lock with a punch-driver, but that's more expensive to repair than the glass. Slim-jims are even better, but just having one is a crime.

Njorl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?