How do I determine the y values for the tail of a vector function plot?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot the vector function F(x,y) = i + cos x j, where i and j are unit vectors. It is explained that the x-coordinate represents the x-coordinate of the point, not the angle of the point from the x-axis. The conversation also discusses the components of the vector function at different values of x, and how to plot the vectors using the i and j components. However, it is noted that the y-value of the tail of the vector can vary and there is no one unique answer. The summary concludes with the question of how to plot the vector function manually, which is answered by stating that the y-value of the tail can take any value.
bksree
Hi
How do I plot this vector function
F(x,y) = i + cos x j where i and j are unit vectors
Spose I take
x = 0, then the components in i and y direction are 1, 1
x = pi/4, then " " 1, 1/sq rt 2
x = pi/2 " " 1, 0

This doesn't look corect

TIA

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's how you plot it. Remember that, if the function F is defined in terms of Cartesian coordinates, x just means the x coordinate, not the angle of the point from the x-axis.

Attachments

• {1,Cos[x]}.jpg
    {1,Cos[x]}.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 505
Thabk you
My doubt is as follows :
When x = 0, the comp ibn i direction is 1 and in j dirn is 1
When x= pi/4 = 0.78, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is 1/sq rt 2
When x= 3pi/4 = 2.36, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is -1/sq rt 2
When x = pi/2 = 1.57, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is 0, and so on

But here the comp in i dirn is always 1 while j is varying.

How then do you get the sinusoidal shape ?

TIA

I'm not sure I get what your doubt is. Could you say what you expect it to look like?

Thank you for the reply.
My question is : How do I plot this vector function manually

F(x,y) = i + cos x j where i and j are unit vectors
Spose I take
(i) When x = 0, the comp in i direction is 1 and in j dirn is 1
(ii) When x= pi/4 = 0.78, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is 0.707
(iii) When x = pi/2 = 1.57, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is 0
(iv) When x= 3pi/4 = 2.36, the comp in i dirn is 1 and in j is -0.707
and so on
To plot, I have to locate the tail of vector and draw the arrow in the direction given by the i and j components.
eg. in (i) the x for the tail is 0 and dirn is given by 1 and 1
(ii) the x for the tail is 0.78, dirn is given by 1 and 0.707
But what are the y values of the tail in these cases ?

TIA

bksree said:
To plot, I have to locate the tail of vector and draw the arrow in the direction given by the i and j components.
eg. in (i) the x for the tail is 0 and dirn is given by 1 and 1
(ii) the x for the tail is 0.78, dirn is given by 1 and 0.707
But what are the y values of the tail in these cases ?

Okay, take the vector (1,1). When x = 0, we can calculate that F(x,y) = (1,1). But this is true for all values of y. If you look at the plot I posted, you'll see that all the vectors along the vertical line where x =0 are identical. That's because the output doesn't depend on the value of y. So if you're asking where is the tail of the vector (1,1) = i + j, such that x = 0, there's no one, unique answer: y can equal any real number. Likewise, when F(x,y) = (1,0,707), y can take any value.

1. How do I plot a vector function?

To plot a vector function, you will need to first determine the domain and range of the function. Then, use a graphing calculator or software to input the function and plot the points. Alternatively, you can manually plot the points by hand on a graph paper.

2. What is the difference between a scalar function and a vector function?

A scalar function is a function that takes in a single input and gives a single output, while a vector function takes in a vector as input and gives a vector as output. This means that the output of a vector function has both magnitude and direction, while the output of a scalar function only has magnitude.

3. Can I plot a vector function in 2D or does it have to be in 3D?

You can plot a vector function in either 2D or 3D, depending on the nature of the function. If the function has two components, then it can be plotted in 2D. However, if the function has three components, then it will require a 3D plot.

4. How can I visualize the direction of a vector function?

The direction of a vector function can be visualized by plotting the vectors as arrows on a graph. The direction of the arrow will indicate the direction of the vector at that point. You can also use a color gradient to represent the magnitude of the vectors.

5. What are some common applications of plotting vector functions?

Plotting vector functions is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric fields. It can also be used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and simulations.