How to Post a Matrix in Precalculus Mathematics

• Thread starter Mano Jow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using LaTeX to post a matrix, with the person encountering a problem when trying to preview the code. It is recommended to use the pmatrix environment when creating matrices in LaTeX. Refreshing the page or clearing the browser cache can fix the issue of seeing cached copies of previous LaTeX images.
Mano Jow
Hello,

I've been trying to use LaTeX to post a matrix but didn't succeed. Here's the code I have:
A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}m&3\\2&1/2\end{array}\right)

But when I put it between [ tex ][ /tex ] (without spaces) I get a '=>'. But here it's working, see [tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}m&3\\2&1/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I'm trying to post it on Precalculus Mathematics sub forum.

What's happening? I've tried this code here and it worked...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a well-known "feature" that when you preview LaTeX you are likely to see cached copies of generated LaTeX images which you used in previous posts. Refreshing the page in the browser or clearing the browser cache usually fixes such problems (but make a copy of the text first in case the process loses what you've already typed in).

I see.
But if I post it'll be ok, right?

Thanks!

Right. This particular problem only occurs when you're previewing a post.

By the way, it's recommended to do matrices like so:
Code:
A = \begin{pmatrix}m&3\\2&1/2\end{pmatrix}
The pmatrix environment puts in the parentheses for you automatically and also fixes some issues with the alignment of the cells.

Thanks a lot, really helped!

1. What is a matrix in precalculus mathematics?

A matrix in precalculus mathematics is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent a system of linear equations or to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. How do you create a matrix in precalculus mathematics?

To create a matrix in precalculus mathematics, you first need to determine the size of the matrix (number of rows and columns). Then, write the numbers or variables in the appropriate positions within the matrix. For example, a 3x3 matrix would have 3 rows and 3 columns, and the numbers would be written in a 3x3 grid.

3. What are the different types of matrices in precalculus mathematics?

There are several different types of matrices in precalculus mathematics, including square matrices (same number of rows and columns), identity matrices (diagonal elements are all 1), and zero matrices (all elements are 0). Other types include symmetric matrices, skew-symmetric matrices, and diagonal matrices.

4. How do you add or subtract matrices in precalculus mathematics?

To add or subtract matrices in precalculus mathematics, the matrices must have the same size (number of rows and columns). Then, you simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix. The result will be a new matrix with the same size as the original matrices.

5. How do you multiply matrices in precalculus mathematics?

To multiply matrices in precalculus mathematics, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The result will be a new matrix with the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The multiplication is done by multiplying each element in a row of the first matrix by each element in a column of the second matrix and then summing the products.