How to prepare 4-nitoaniline, 4-chloroaniline,diphenylamine indicator

• Thread starter LimHua
  • Start date
Currently, I just bought 4-nitroaniline, 4-chlroaniline and diphenylamie. All in powder form. I want to use these indicator to test the basicity of my samples but I don’t know how to prepare the indicator solution by using these powder

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I suspect you are not getting any responses because those compounds don't seem to be commonly used as pH indicators. Is there are particular reason for choosing those three compounds as pH indicators rather than choosing more standard chemicals as pH indicators (e.g. see http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlib/course/indi/)?

I suspect you are not getting any responses because those compounds don't seem to be commonly used as pH indicators. Is there are particular reason for choosing those three compounds as pH indicators rather than choosing more standard chemicals as pH indicators (e.g. see http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlib/course/indi/)?
Hi, I need those chemicals to test the basicity of the catalyst produced which has high basicity.

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you looking at doing Bordwell-type pKa measurements in non-aqueous solutions? All three of those compounds should dissolve in DMSO. You’ll probably also have to prepare sodium or potassium dimsyl for titration. It’s just DMSO mixed with the proper hydride (sodium hydride is easier to handle) in the proper concentration. All the manipulations are analogous to aqueous acid-base work, but everything needs to be air-free and water-free, which can be a bit challenging/tedious.