• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Testing How to prepare for f=ma exam?

• Thread starter user10921
  • Start date
I know there is quite a lot of similar posts like these but how do I prepare for this exam? I am a high schooler who has a decent amount of time. I am wondering what textbooks would prepare me. What I know is that the exam is focused on mechanics, more specifically, "A: The F=ma exam focuses on mechanics, including kinematics, statics, Newton’s laws, momentum and energy, oscillations, orbital mechanics, fluids, and elementary data analysis. All problems can be solved without the use of calculus. " If there are any good textbook resources, please recommend them to me.

Books can include some calculus as well, that is fine

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Isn’t your class using a textbook?

Isn’t your class using a textbook?
No, I am currently not talking any physics classes so I don't have a physics textbook

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry, I’m not familiar with modern high school texts. I used the PSSC Physics book, which was well regarded in its day. You could probably pick up a used copy for a song. Be aware that most texts are intended to be accompanied by lab experiments or exercises performed in class.
Maybe someone else has an up to date recommendation.

Thank you for your recommendation, but I'm looking for textbooks such as Krane and Halliday's physics 5 ed, classical mechanics by morin, etc. I just need such a textbook which is sufficient

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
'm looking for textbooks such as Krane and Halliday's physics 5 ed, classical mechanics by morin, etc. I just need such a textbook which is sufficient
What is wrong with the ones you mentioned?

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Halliday and Resnick is the most widely used college physics text. You can’t go wrong with it.

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
With or without Krane is fine—old editions cover the same physics as the latest.

What is wrong with the ones you mentioned?
Nothing, I was just asking for similar books like the latter I mentioned. Would these books help prepare me for the F=ma exam?

With or without Krane is fine—old editions cover the same physics as the latest.
Thank you for your response. I guess I'll be using that book since it has good reviews

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
No, I am currently not talking any physics classes so I don't have a physics textbook
If you are not taking any physics classes, then what exam are you preparing for?

Zz.

jtbell

Mentor
According to the thread title and the first post, he's preparing for the f=ma exam.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
According to the thread title and the first post, he's preparing for the f=ma exam.
Yes, but what for? If the OP is not taking a formal class, what "exam" is this? An eye exam?

Zz.

Zz, google
f=ma exam

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's an F exam, not an "I" exam...

Last edited:
Check their website, they have posted past exams with solutions.

It's an exam that focuses on mechanics.
Yes, but what for? If the OP is not taking a formal class, what "exam" is this? An eye exam?

Zz.