How to present the charges of quarks with the following Nc?

In summary, the cross sections for electron-positron collisions resulting in hadrons and muon pairs are proportional to the sum of the charges squared of the quarks involved. However, the relationship between the sum and the number of colors (Nc) is unclear, as it is not just limited to the flavor of the quarks but also includes the number of colors. This suggests that more colors may result in a larger number of hadrons.
HerrBlatt
Homework Statement
Assume that quarks are presented in SU(Nc) with a unknown dimension of Nc, and define the rate Rμ of the scattering cross sections between e+e- -> hadrons(here, consider u, d, s, c, b quark) and e+e- -> μ+ μ-. Give out the result of Rμ with Nc. See detailed equations below.
Relevant Equations
Rμ = σ(e+e- -> hadrons)/ σ(e+e- -> μ+μ- )
I have already known the cross sections can be presented like this.
σ(e+e- -> hadrons)∝ Σ eq^2 & σ(e+e- -> μ+μ- ) ∝ e^2,
where eq is the charge of a certain quark(u, d, s, c or b)
But I don't know the relationship between Nc and eq.

(This is my first time to post a thread. I don't know how to insert a equation typed in LaTex or Word, so it may be a little tired to read...
I'm so sorry about that and thank you for help!)

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the sum run over for hadrons? It is not just the flavor. How is that related to the symmetry group?

You can use LaTeX with ##. ##a^2## -> ##a^2##

You mean it also runs over colors? And we should multiply a Nc on it? In this way the sum will be 11/9 Nc?

HerrBlatt said:
You mean it also runs over colors?
Right. More colors -> more hadrons.
I'm not sure where the 11/9 came from.

1. What is the Nc value and how does it relate to quark charges?

The Nc value, also known as the number of colors, is a property of quarks in the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD). It represents the number of different types of color charges that quarks can have. In QCD, quarks have three color charges: red, green, and blue. The Nc value is equal to 3 for these three colors.

2. How are the charges of quarks presented with the Nc value?

The charges of quarks are presented using a mathematical framework called the SU(3) symmetry group, which is based on the Nc value. This group describes the interactions between quarks and their charges, and allows for the prediction of their behavior and properties.

3. Can the Nc value change for different types of quarks?

No, the Nc value is a fundamental property of quarks and does not change for different types of quarks. All quarks, regardless of their flavor (up, down, charm, strange, top, or bottom), have an Nc value of 3.

4. How does the Nc value affect the behavior of quarks?

The Nc value plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of quarks. It affects the strength of the strong nuclear force that binds quarks together, as well as the way quarks interact with each other and with other particles. The higher the Nc value, the stronger the interactions between quarks.

5. Is the Nc value a measurable quantity?

No, the Nc value is a theoretical concept and is not directly measurable. However, it is a fundamental parameter in the theory of QCD and is used to make predictions about the behavior of quarks and their interactions.