Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prevent Stroke ?

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1
    Seems that Stroke is a major killer to adults,
    any effective way to prevent it from happening to us?
    :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2006 #2
    Diabetes is very common too, will lowering your sugar intake prevent it?

4. Jan 6, 2006 #3
    Expert says:

5. Jan 6, 2006 #4
    Not to be a rabid vegan, but you could remove the meat and dairy from that list o:) .

Anyway, yeah, eat healthy. Also staying away from intense radiation is a good idea. Also avoid certain types of heart surgery, as they can cause a rush of plaque to the brain, resulting in many minor strokes.

edit: added dairy

6. Jan 6, 2006 #5
    It was the strangest thing to see a commercial for a defibrillator on tv.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two types of strokes, by blockage or rupture. There are many factors that play a role so the best thing to do is live a healthy lifestyle and see a doctor when you develop a severe headache, pre-bleeding is an important warning sign for rupture. To prevent stroke by blockage, be physically active.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #7
    Mainly, live a healthy lifestyle. This includes a healthy diet, and lots of exercise (of course). It's important to keep you blood pressure down, which ties into the lifestyle.

I'm still young, but I have high blood pressure, so the lifestyle is something that I fight to keep up with. The thought of a stroke scares me to death, more so than the threat of a coronary ever will. Good incentive to get on the stationary bike, and not go for that extra taco, I suppose.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #8
  10. Jan 6, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The only sure way to avoid a stroke is to not have a brain.

11. Jan 6, 2006 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's ischemic stroke, the gene probably is involved in the pathogenic process of atherosclerosis It's true that some families are predisposed.

12. Jan 7, 2006 #11
    avoid obesity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?