Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to print out line equations? (such as y=x^2)

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    If I have several graph equations like the following:

y = x
    y = |x|
    y = x^2
    y = x^3
    y = 2^x

How can I print these out when they are laid out on a graph? What program should I use?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use Excel, or gnuplot, or any of the other ten million graphing utilities available on the web. Use google.

- Warren

4. Dec 15, 2004 #3
    Could you show me a screenshot of how it would look (the values and the graph) completed for y = x in Excel?

the attached is what I have so far: http://img139.exs.cx/img139/9320/excel7rr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2004
  5. Dec 15, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put a range of x-values in column A, say rows 1 through 20. Insert x-values ranging from say -10 to 10.

Type "=ABS($A1)" into cell B1. Drag a box around cells B1 through B20, and hit Edit->Fill->Down.

Type "=$A1^2" into cell C1. Drag a box around cells C1 through C20, and hit Edit->Fill->Down.

...Continue adding all the columns you need.

Select all the columns, and hit the Chart button. Create the chart as usual.

- Warren

6. Dec 15, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Use an x-y scatter chart, not a plain line chart.

- Warren

7. Dec 15, 2004 #6
  8. Dec 16, 2004 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And if you're plotting points generated from an equation, not experimental data points, choose the sub-type of scatter chart that gives you "data points connected by smoothed lines without markers".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?