1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to proceed?

Tags:
  1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    Hi guys. It's my first post here so I am not sure how this works but I'll give it a try. So I'm a senior in high school and I'm trying to progress my way up to learning QFT. I was wondering what I should do next in my series of things to learn. So far, I've learned the following:
    1. Regular mechanics at a university level (Halliday/Resnick level if you like)
    2. Most of E&M at the griffiths level; I skipped some bits here and there but I got the main stuff down like Maxwells eq.'s, etc.
    3. Quantum mechanics at the level of Griffiths but I havent learned the later chapters on the wkb approx. and scattering and stuff like that
    I also know lin. Alg., calculus of course, and some tensor calc/differential geometry (I studied some lecture notes on GR a while back). So how should I proceed so I can learn QFT? Right now, im learning the classical mechanics with the lagrangin and hamiltonin formalisms, etc. So that is useful and also getting me acquinted with variational calc. As for relativity, I only know it to the extent of the chapter in Griffiths E&M book. I really think i should learn complex analysis after the mechanics and somewhere want to learn stat. Mech. But i really dont know as there are many directions I can go. Suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2
    First of all, I feel silly as a senior in undergrad at the same level of knowledge as a senior in high school.

What I can tell you though, is that you will need to know E&M more than just "the main stuff". You'll need to know it in depth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook