Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to pronounce Chevrolet

1. Jan 19, 2004 #1
    How?[?]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2004 #2
  4. Jan 19, 2004 #3
    Where Saint is from (Malaysia, I think), people speak Malay, which is a really straight-forward language in the sense that 'ch' ALWAYS sound like 'ch' as in chop and never 'sh'. People from this part of the world find English very difficult, and we have a difficulty pronouncing words like conscience (we pronounce the science bit as science), soupcon (the -con part) , Arkansas (-sas part), Tuscan (Tus-), etc. correctly.

Saint, I don't know what the proper pronunciation of Chevrolet is, but I am guessing that 'Chev-' is pronounced 'Shev-'.

The only reason why I think that is because I love listening to the American Pie song, which includes 'drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry' in its chorus.

5. Jan 19, 2004 #4
    Yes.
    Shev-row-lay

That's really funny!
    When I was about 9 years old I was arguing with my friend about this (he was Dominican).
    He was saying the "t" was pronounced, and I was arguing that it wasn't.
    When his mother came home we asked her to settle the argument.
    She looked at both of us for a minute, said "Chevy!", walked in the house and shut the door behind her.
    (Maybe it was one of those things that was funnier if you were there)

6. Jan 19, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it is a French word and thus pronounced differently. How about Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, etc.

7. Jan 19, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

Renault = Ren-oh
    Citroen = Citron...kinda
    Peugeot = Per-jheau...ooh thats hard to explain...either 'jh' or jzh'...its easier to say it.

8. Jan 19, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No - Citro-e(n)

9. Jan 19, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

yeah we are lazy in england, it's just the shortest way to say it i suppose..

10. Jan 19, 2004 #9
    French Cars always break down, dont they Jimmyp.

11. Jan 19, 2004 #10

jimmy p

Gold Member

yeah...stupid renault 19. We took it to the mechanic, and he didnt seem to know what was up, he just cleaned it a bit (the electronics n stuff) and we gotta hope for the best...

12. Jan 19, 2004 #11
    pueguot(sp?) is pronounced pewjo (soft j).

13. Jan 19, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

Uh, definitely not 'pew', we have tons of peugeots in england, and its pronounced 'Per' but i do like the soft j on 'jo' wish i thought of that!

14. Jan 19, 2004 #13

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Püjo

I don't think English has any u sound like that. The first syllable is somwhere between pew and poo.

15. Jan 19, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

????? im confused, its not the english, its french! Andy back me up here mate!

16. Jan 19, 2004 #15
    I say, "Shivver Lay"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?