Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to pronounce router?

1. Rooter

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Rowter

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. Jul 31, 2016 #1

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

This is a questions that bothers me for several decades. I even asked native English speakers, but they had no definite answer. I guess that both is correct to some extent.
    Therefore this little poll: How do you pronounce router?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2
    Neither.

Rawter.

The vowels there being pronounced like they are pronounced in Japanese.

4. Jul 31, 2016 #3

jim mcnamara

There is a geographic disparity in the pronunciation of some English words, just like a lot of other languages. So answers may not depend on how the person pronounces something like 'Route 66'. I worked as sysadmin for about 20 years, and routers were a daily topic. Everyone I know here in New Mexico who knows what a router is, says:
    Router == 'rowter'
    Route 66 == 'root 66'
    Not everyone says:
    Route == 'root'
    About 30% prefer 'rowt'

So good luck on figuring this out - I never did.

5. Jul 31, 2016 #4
    I just realised I've never used this word in my life. So I don't know how to pronounce it :nb)
    And can't stop thinking about it now!
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg

6. Jul 31, 2016 #5
    try the sound of the ou in round or in ouch.

7. Jul 31, 2016 #6

Evo

Yes, this would be correct.

I believe that is the sound that is meant by "rowter".

Although some people might think rowter would be pronounced RO ter, pronouncing the row like "row your boat", that would be wrong.

8. Jul 31, 2016 #7

fresh_42

I wrote something about crows just before ... Not easy, to spell English pronunciations without using phonetic symbols which aren't understood by everybody.

9. Jul 31, 2016 #8

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Here in the UK, the network box "router" is pronounced "root-er" formed from "route" with "-er" on the end, but the woodworking tool "router" is formed from "rout" with "-er" on the end, so it sounds like "outer" with an "r" on the front.

10. Jul 31, 2016 #9

Evo

Sometimes I see words in dictionaries with phonetic symbols even I don't understand, so it's lucky that I already know how to pronounce them. I think old dictionaries were easier.

11. Jul 31, 2016 #10

Evo

Ah, so another thing the British got wrong, the router was invented in America, so we get to choose. :biggrin:

Don't get me started on potato chips. :devil:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  12. Jul 31, 2016 #11

fresh_42

I had asked a group of English (and one Scottish) IT folks. They refused to make a definite decision. It was more like a "some say ... and some ..."

Btw. most people here pronounce it the French way, too. Guess, the Americans shouldn't have chosen a french word, though. :wink:

@Evo In Louisiana?

13. Jul 31, 2016 #12

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the UK, at least, it depends on the meaning.

Derived from the noun "route", it's pronounced "rooter" -- IPA /ˈruːtər/ -- e.g. a type of computer network device.

Derived from verb "to rout", it's pronounced "rowter" -- IPA /ˈraʊtər/ ("row" rhyming with "how") -- e.g. device for cutting grooves.

14. Jul 31, 2016 #13

Evo

Heck NO.

15. Jul 31, 2016 #14

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

IT people often use American English pronunciation of technical terms. However, "route" and "routing" are definitely pronounced like "root" in British English, and even the agent form "router" existed before network equipment. It can for example refer to a person who determines the route that something should take, either in the physical sense of routing transport, or in the sense of passing a query to the appropriate department to handle.

"Rout" is a different word where the "out" bit is pronounced as in the word "out". It can for example refer to a disorderly retreat. However, it can also refer to cutting a hollow or groove in wood, and curiously the word in that form comes from a variant of "root" in the sense of pigs "rooting around" in the ground with their noses.

16. Jul 31, 2016 #15
    It may also depend on what you mean by router. As for the networking device we are using, I think the British may pronounce it /ru:ter/ while North American /rounder/.

17. Jul 31, 2016 #16

Evo

So the answer is in the US it's rowter (pronounced like "outer" ), in the UK they choose to pronounce it rooter. The rest of the world doesn't matter. :smile:

18. Jul 31, 2016 #17

fresh_42

You mean I should ask the NSA?

19. Jul 31, 2016 #18

fresh_42

But then it would have to be a ru(e)ter. :wink:

And are you sure that the sound of ü doesn't exist in English? How do they pronounce lynx then?

20. Jul 31, 2016 #19
    It's definitely 'root' + 'er' as far as I am concerned.
    'rowt' + 'er' is either a woodworking tool, or it's else it's something/somebody being noisy and disrupting.

21. Jul 31, 2016 #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OMG --- no way

outer ( as in outer edge of the bowl) with a R in front

again OMG no way

we don't even want to go to what a rooter is .... this is a all age forum !!
    kids could be reading

YES --- the same as the wood/metal working tool !!!!!

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted