How to proof; a sumformula

• Thread starter Vince00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the equation \sum a, m=0, (a-m)! / m!(a-2m)! = the fibonacci sequence and the attempt at using induction to prove it. The conversation also mentions difficulties with using symbols and formatting in the proof.
Vince00

Homework Statement

Proof that [tex]\sum a, m=0, [/tex] (a-m)! / m!(a-2m)! = the fibonacci sequence.

Homework Equations

Fibonacci: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, ... (but I think everyone knows that one!)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Xm = [tex]\suma m=0[/tex] (a-m)! / m!(a-2m)!
I think I better proof Xm+2 = Xm+1 + Xm (follows from the fibonacci), so I can conclude that Xm = Fm+1.
I think using induction is the best way to go: Prooving it for X0 and X1, maybe even X2.
My attempt:
[tex]\sum a+2, m=0, [/tex] (a+2-m)! / m!(a+2-2m)! = [tex]\sum a+1, m=0, [/tex] (a+1-m)! / m!(a+1-2m)! + [tex]\sum a, m=0, [/tex] (a-m)! / m!(a-2m)!
=[tex]\sum a+1, m=0, [/tex] (a+1-m)! / m!(a+1-2m)! + [tex]\sum a+1, m=1, [/tex] (a-m-1)! / (m-1)!(a-m-1-m+1)! ... but I think I am making big mistakes here, because whatever I do, I get stuck.
I just don't see it!

Vince, freshmen physics, sorry but I don't know how to use the symbols and stuff!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to read what you have written. Try editing it by using the proper LaTeX. Just click on my output below to see the way to do it.
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/tex] for sums and subscripts
[tex]\frac{(a-m)!}{m!(a-2m)!}[/tex] for fractions
Also, what is Xm?

Hello Vince,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I would approach this proof using mathematical induction, just like you suggested. Here's how I would go about it:

First, let's define the Fibonacci sequence as F(n), where n is the position in the sequence. So, F(1) = 1, F(2) = 1, F(3) = 2, F(4) = 3, and so on. We want to prove that the given sum formula is equal to the Fibonacci sequence, or in other words, Xm = Fm+1.

Step 1: Base case
To use induction, we need to prove that the formula holds true for the first few cases. In this case, we can start with Xm = X0, which is equal to 1 (since m = 0). And F1 = 1, so our formula holds true for the first case.

Step 2: Inductive hypothesis
Assuming that Xm = Fm+1 for some arbitrary value of m, we need to prove that Xm+1 = Fm+2.

Step 3: Proving the inductive step
Let's start by expanding Xm+1 using the given sum formula:
Xm+1 = \sum a, m+1 = 0, (a-(m+1))! / (m+1)!(a-2(m+1))!
= \sum a, m+1 = 0, (a-m-1)! / (m+1)!(a-2m-2)!
= \sum a, m+1 = 0, (a-m-1)! / m!(a-2m-2)! * (a-m-1)/(a-2m-2)

Now, using our inductive hypothesis, Xm = Fm+1, we can rewrite the first term as Fm+1. And we know that the Fibonacci sequence follows the recursive formula F(n+1) = F(n) + F(n-1), which can also be written as F(n) = F(n+1) - F(n-1). Using this, we can rewrite the second term as Fm.

So, Xm+1 = Fm+1 * (a-m-1)/(a-2m-2) + Fm. Now, let's simplify this further:
Xm+

1. How do I prove a sum formula?

To prove a sum formula, you must first understand the properties of summation. Then, you can use mathematical induction or direct proof to show that the formula holds for all values of the variable.

2. What are the properties of summation?

The properties of summation include the commutative property (changing the order of terms does not affect the value), the associative property (grouping terms together does not affect the value), and the distributive property (distributing a constant factor to each term).

3. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1), and then showing that if the statement is true for any given natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number.

4. When should I use direct proof to prove a sum formula?

Direct proof is a method of proving a statement by using logical deductions from known facts and definitions. It is often used when the statement involves basic algebraic operations and properties, making it a useful tool for proving sum formulas.

5. Can I use a calculator to prove a sum formula?

No, a calculator should not be used to prove a sum formula. Proofs involve logical reasoning and mathematical concepts, and using a calculator would not provide a valid proof. However, a calculator can be used to check the validity of a known formula.