1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to proof ?

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    guys ,it says that whats wrong with following proof ? lets see if x=y ,then

x2=xy
    x2-y2=xy-y2
    (x+y)(x-y)=y(x-y)
    x+y=y
    2y=y
    2=1
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    we know that if ax=ay x=y only and if only a is not zero ,but how to say this in "proof" language ? sory if look stupid ..im just kid in math ..hehe ,thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

This is where it goes wrong. Tell me how do you go from the first to the second step, then tell me what x-y is.

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

This is satisfactory:

[tex]ax=ay[/tex]

[tex]x=y , a\neq 0[/tex]

This step is where your problem occurred. Since you restricted the algebra to y=x, you cannot do this step because it is dividing by 0.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well there's a problem with the proof. The third line (x-y), we know that is 0 so you have 0 = 0 immediately.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    thanx man ..sorry if im not reply immediatly ..but for me the conclusion there is a restriction in algebra,right ?? ..how can the manipulation allow that ..

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To go from the first equation to the second, you divide both sides of the first equation by x - y. This is not allowed, because x - y = 0, by assumption ("Let x = y"). You cannot divide by zero. Period.

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7
    its very clear right now ..biG thanx all of u

9. Jun 30, 2009 #8
    You should tried like:
    (x+y)(x-y)=y(x-y)

(x+y)(x-y)-y(x-y)=0

(x-y)(x+y-y)=0

(x-y)x=0

So x=0 or x-y=0

10. Jun 30, 2009 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is one of a number of fallacious "proofs" that end in some obviously false conclusion. All of them have one or more steps that are not allowed (like division by zero) that make the erroneous conclusion seem valid. Other examples I've seen use integration or differentiation to arrive at a similar conclusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook