How to properly decieve yourself

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker participated in a radio contest called "Hunt for the Kisser Golden Bone" where they had to find a hidden golden bone to win $10k. After 5 weeks, they become convinced that they were the only one on the right path to finding it. They then reflect on how easy it is to delude oneself when there is a prize involved. They mention another contest they have participated in and conclude that having a good sense of humor is important for theoretical scientists and physicists. They also suggest that maybe a sense of humor is more important for themselves rather than all physicists.
jammieg
I once participated in a radio contest called hunt for the kisser golden bone.
They gave really obscure clues over the air as to the location of the golden bone and if you found it you would win $10k.
After 5 weeks of participating in the contest I found myself totally convinced that I alone was in the one park where no one else was and I was going to find it, I was "the chosen one". It wasn't just me, just about everyone who had been in the game that long was convinced or deluded that they alone were on the true path to the golden bone all others were 2ed or lower.
What I learned from this is it's real easy to delude oneself when there's some prize involved to which only one's efforts can obtain the prize, not physical efforts so much as intellectual efforts.
There's another contest I suckered myself into called, "the quest for the true unifying theory of gravity!".
This one has been going on for at least 80 years. After perusing all the various crackpot theories of gravity including my own it seems like this is indeed a grand way to get deluded if that's your thing. So to sum it up the best tool to have for a theoretical scientist or physicist is a good sense of humor, because God sure does.
Sorry I had to get that off my chest, can you think of some other ways?

Physics news on Phys.org
A sense of humor is indespensible as far as I am concerned, but I've known a few people who manage to get by without one. I'd say you can do just about anything any way you want... what really matters maybe is just how do you want to do it. Maybe what you really discovered is not so much that a sense of humor is necessary for all physicists, but for yourself. Just a thought. :0)

Decieving oneself can be a powerful tool in certain situations, but it is important to do it properly in order to achieve the desired outcome. Here are some tips for properly deceiving yourself:

1. Believe in your own abilities: In both the radio contest and the "quest for the true unifying theory of gravity," participants were convinced that they alone were on the right path to success. This belief in oneself and one's abilities can be a key factor in deceiving yourself. By fully believing in your own capabilities, you can convince yourself that you are the one who will achieve the desired outcome.

2. Focus on the end goal: In order to deceive yourself, it is important to keep your focus on the end goal and block out any doubts or distractions. In the radio contest, the end goal was to find the golden bone and win $10k. By keeping this in mind and blocking out any thoughts of failure, participants were able to deceive themselves into thinking they were the chosen one.

3. Use positive self-talk: Positive self-talk can be a powerful tool in deceiving yourself. Instead of focusing on any potential obstacles or doubts, use positive affirmations and self-talk to convince yourself that you are capable of achieving the desired outcome. This can help to build confidence and belief in oneself.

4. Surround yourself with like-minded individuals: In both the radio contest and the quest for the true unifying theory of gravity, participants were surrounded by others who shared the same goal. This can be helpful in deceiving yourself as it creates a sense of unity and solidarity. Surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals who share the same goal can help to reinforce your beliefs and keep you focused on the end goal.

5. Embrace a sense of humor: As mentioned in the content, having a good sense of humor can be a valuable tool in deceiving yourself. It allows you to see the situation from a different perspective and not take things too seriously. This can help to alleviate any pressure or doubts and keep you in a positive mindset.

In conclusion, properly deceiving yourself requires a combination of self-belief, focus, positive self-talk, a supportive environment, and a sense of humor. By using these tips, you can effectively deceive yourself in pursuit of your goals. However, it is important to remember to use this tool wisely and not let it consume you completely. Always stay grounded and be open to different perspectives and possibilities.

What is self-deception?

Self-deception is the act of consciously or unconsciously deceiving oneself in order to maintain a belief or perception that is not in line with reality.

Why do people engage in self-deception?

People engage in self-deception for various reasons, including to protect their self-esteem, to avoid facing uncomfortable truths, or to justify their actions or beliefs.

Can self-deception be beneficial?

In some cases, self-deception can be beneficial as it allows individuals to cope with difficult situations or to feel better about themselves. However, it can also lead to negative consequences and should not be used as a coping mechanism.

How can one recognize self-deception?

Self-deception can be difficult to recognize as it involves deceiving oneself. However, some signs include rationalizing or justifying one's actions, ignoring evidence that contradicts one's beliefs, and experiencing inner conflict or discomfort.

Is it possible to stop self-deception?

While it may be difficult, it is possible to stop self-deception by being honest with oneself, seeking feedback from others, and critically examining one's beliefs and actions. Seeking professional help may also be beneficial in overcoming self-deception.