1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove 1+1=2

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

My teacher once told me that 1+1=2 is provable, mathematically. True enough it can be done after i google it, but why is there a need to prove it so tediously, i can do it with my fingers. :)

Delzac

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that it will have something to do with the definition of the real number system and real numbers etc.

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, it goes back to the construction of the "counting numbers" themselves.

Why is there a need to prove it? Well, no need at all for the average person. It is most often done as a simple exercise in the use of Peano's axioms for the counting numbers.

5. Sep 13, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm going to assume that, since you're posting this, you do seriously want an answer.

Consider: when you do it on your fingers, how do you know it's true? Other than because someone, somewhere has told you "it just is, trust me".

6. Sep 13, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

The difficult part is defining 1 and 2. Once this is done, the proof is almost trivial. Usually this is done using peano's axioms, but this is just one way.

7. Sep 13, 2006 #6
    what do you mean whether 1+1 =2 is true? ( how can is not be true?)

8. Sep 13, 2006 #7
    just to add on, say we define 1 as one unit of something

the 1 + 1 = two unit of somthing = 2

Unless you let 3 become two unit of something. then 1+1=3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?