Proving E = 1: Exploring Complex Numbers

• Thread starter nameonascreen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^(2*pi*i) = 1 and the incorrect assumption that the rules for exponentiation that are valid for real numbers also apply to complex numbers. The correct rule for exponentiation in the complex number plane is a^r= e^{r ln(a)}. Therefore, when raising e^(2*pi*i) = 1 to the power of 1/(2*pi*i), there will be an infinite number of values, with one of them being 1. The conversation also mentions that ln(1) equals 2k\pi i for any integer k in the complex numbers, leading to the values 1 and e when substituted into the exponentiation rule.
nameonascreen
I saw this the other day and I don't understand how complex numbers work well enough to disprove it:

e^(2*pi*i) = 1

e^(2*pi*i)^(1/(2*pi*i)) = 1^(1/(2*pi*i))

Then the left side equals e and the right side equals 1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you ought to learn enough about complex numbers so that you don't make a wild goose chase trying to disprove a provable true statement.

Your error lies in assuming that the rules for exponentiation that are valid for real numbers are valid for complex number.

They are not; rather, real number exponentiation is a special case of how exponentiation works in the complex number plane.

so e = 1 in a complex number plane?

No. What he is trying to say is that the rule for exponentiation [tex]\left(a^b\right)^c=a^{bc}[/tex] is only valid when dealing with real numbers, [tex]a\geq 0[/tex]. When you extend into the complex plane, this rule breaks down.

ok cool. thanks! so what really happens when you raise e^(2*pi*i) = 1 to the power of 1/(2*pi*i)?

nameonascreen said:
ok cool. thanks! so what really happens when you raise e^(2*pi*i) = 1 to the power of 1/(2*pi*i)?
Since [itex]2\pi[/itex] is irrational, there will be an infinite number of values. One of them, of course, will be 1.

In general, to find [itex]a^r[/itex] for general complex numbers you use [itex]a^r= e^{ln(a^r)}= e^{r ln(a)}[/itex].

Here, because [itex]1/(2\pi i)= -i/(2\pi)[/itex] that would be
[tex]e^{-\frac{i}{2\pi}ln(1)}[/tex]

Now, restricted to the real numbers, ln(1)= 0 so that would give [itex]e^0= 1[/itex]. But in the complex numbers, [itex]ln(1)= 2k\pi i[/itex] for any integer k.

That is,
[tex]1^{\frac{1}{2\pi i}}= e^{-\frac{i}{2\pi}2k\pi i}= e^k[/tex]
for any integer k. Of course, k=0 gives 1, and k= 1 gives e, your two values.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real component and an imaginary component. The imaginary component is denoted by the letter "i" and represents the square root of -1. These numbers are often written in the form a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component.

2. Why is it important to explore complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone and help us visualize and understand real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits and waves.

3. How does proving E = 1 relate to complex numbers?

Proving E = 1 involves using the properties of complex numbers to derive a formula for the identity element in the set of complex numbers. This formula, known as Euler's identity, is e^(iπ) + 1 = 0. By plugging in specific values for π, we can prove that e = 1 for complex numbers.

4. What is the significance of proving E = 1?

Proving E = 1 is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the properties of complex numbers and their relationship to other mathematical concepts, such as trigonometry and calculus. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

5. What are some techniques used to prove E = 1?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove E = 1, including using the properties of exponential and logarithmic functions, solving equations with complex numbers, and using geometric interpretations of complex numbers. Other techniques include using Euler's formula, De Moivre's theorem, and the binomial theorem.