Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove it 3.3 exercise help please

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    I am currently reading vellemans how to prove it for the purpose of being able to construct a proof on my own. I would like to carry on this knowledge to also help me out with spivaks calculus So the problem is:

Prove that if a and b\c are disjoint, then a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b[itex]\subseteq[/itex]c.
    1.goal: a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b\c=∅ → a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b[itex]\subseteq[/itex]c

2. Givens:a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b\c=∅ Goal:a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b[itex]\subseteq[/itex]c

3.Givens:a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b\c=∅ x[itex]\in[/itex]a x[itex]\in[/itex]b Goal: x[itex]\in[/itex]c
    This is as far as I got. I haveE no idea where to go from here and I feel the solution is starting right at me. I think it might have something to do with the fact that a and b\c are disjoints. This might be in the wrong section but I don't no where else to put it

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi eddiep1993! welcome to pf! :smile:
    that's right :smile:

if x ε a, then x not ε in b/c …

carry on from there :wink:

4. Aug 24, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe: a[itex]\bigcap[/itex]b\c=∅ x[itex]\in[/itex]a x[itex]\in[/itex]b x[itex]\notin[/itex]c Goal: contradiction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook