How to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0

• Thread starter grossgermany
  • Start date
In summary, the participants in this conversation discuss ways to prove that ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0. They mention using a graphical calculator, as well as a more rigorous method using calculus to show that the resulting function is monotone increasing on the interval. They also mention the use of derivatives and functions to demonstrate the inequality, but there is some debate about whether the statement is true or not. Ultimately, it is suggested to consider the function f(x) = e^sqrt{x} - x, which is always positive and can be used to prove that sqrt(x) > ln(x).
grossgermany
Hi,

I know I can use a graphical calculator to easily show that
How to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0

But I wonder if there is a rigorous way to demonstrate this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you call that? proof by calculator graphic? I would consider the function [itex]f(x) = lnx - \sqrt{x}[/itex] (or is it the other way around? well you get the idea) & use calculus to show that the resulting function is monotone increasing on that interval. off the top of my head that's probably the best way to do it.

Is there a non-graphical way of doing it?

Hi Grossgermany,

To answer the question, I'm assuming you have a rough idea of Calculus.

We know that the derivative of a formula, tells us the rate of change of the formula. We also that both formulas are always positive.

(Sorry no Latex I tried to make it works, but i failed. )

So let's take the derivative of ln(x) d/dx (ln(x)) = 1/x
Then of sqrt(x) d/dx (sqrt(x)) = 1/(2sqrt(x))

As x goes to infinity, 1/2 becomes useless, and for simplicity sake let's remove it.

1/x < 1/(2sqrt(x)) --> 1/x < 1/sqrt(x)

Then we can clearly see that as x increase to infinity, the rate of change of sqrt(x) is greater then ln(x).

I've just though about it while reading your question, but I am fairly sure of my answer.

Vardd

Showing the derivative of x^1/2 – ln(x) is positive for all x>0 is fairly easy.

Vardd said:
Hi Grossgermany,

To answer the question, I'm assuming you have a rough idea of Calculus.

We know that the derivative of a formula, tells us the rate of change of the formula. We also that both formulas are always positive.

(Sorry no Latex I tried to make it works, but i failed. )

So let's take the derivative of ln(x) d/dx (ln(x)) = 1/x
Then of sqrt(x) d/dx (sqrt(x)) = 1/(2sqrt(x))

As x goes to infinity, 1/2 becomes useless, and for simplicity sake let's remove it.

1/x < 1/(2sqrt(x)) --> 1/x < 1/sqrt(x)

Then we can clearly see that as x increase to infinity, the rate of change of sqrt(x) is greater then ln(x).

I've just though about it while reading your question, but I am fairly sure of my answer.

Vardd
You can’t just remove the ½, and your method would only show for some value of N, for x>N would ln(x) < x^1/2

JonF said:
Showing the derivative of x^1/2 – ln(x) is positive for all x>0 is fairly easy.
This is the way to do it. You also need to show that it's a positive value from the beginning though (lim x approaches 0 of f(x) = +) since increasing wouldn't really prove anything by itself (ex: any function where f(x) = - where x< some positive number k, but f(x) increasing from x>0).

Anonymous217 said:
This is the way to do it. You also need to show that it's a positive value from the beginning though (lim x approaches 0 of f(x) = +) since increasing wouldn't really prove anything by itself (ex: any function where f(x) = - where x< some positive number k, but f(x) increasing from x>0).

Except the statement is not true
0.5*1/sqrt(x)-1/x is not always positive for x>0.

grossgermany said:
Except the statement is not true
is not always positive for x>0.

good catch, so where would the min of 0.5*1/sqrt(x)-1/x be at?

whoops, it's not monotone like I said but the minimum is positive, & that will still do it

consider the function [tex]{f(x) = e^{\sqrt{x}} - x,}[/tex] which is >0
so that [tex]f^{\prime}[/tex] >0 for all x and therefore
[tex]e^{\sqrt{x}} - x > 0[/tex] , and thus [tex]\sqrt{x} > \ln{x}[/tex]

fourier jr said:
whoops, it's not monotone like I said but the minimum is positive, & that will still do it

alomari2010 said:
consider the function [tex]{f(x) = e^{\sqrt{x}} - x,}[/tex] which is >0
so that [tex]f^{\prime}[/tex] >0 for all x and therefore
[tex]e^{\sqrt{x}} - x > 0[/tex] , and thus [tex]\sqrt{x} > \ln{x}[/tex]

How do you prove that it's positive?

1. How do I begin to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0?

To begin, you can start by assuming that x is greater than 0. Then, you can use the definition of ln(x) and the properties of logarithms to manipulate the inequality into a form that is easier to prove. From there, you can use algebraic techniques and properties of exponents to simplify and eventually prove the inequality.

2. What are some key properties of logarithms that can help prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0?

Some key properties include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. These properties allow you to manipulate the logarithmic expression into a form that is easier to work with and can help prove the inequality in question.

3. Can I use calculus to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0?

Yes, you can use calculus to prove this inequality. One approach could be to take the derivative of both sides of the inequality with respect to x and show that the resulting expression is always positive, thus proving that the original inequality holds for all x>0.

4. Are there any specific values of x that I should consider when proving ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0?

Yes, it may be helpful to consider both small and large values of x when proving this inequality. For small values of x, you can use the limit definition of ln(x) to show that it approaches 0, while for large values of x, you can use the limit definition of sqrt(x) to show that it approaches infinity.

5. How can I use mathematical induction to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0?

You can use mathematical induction to prove this inequality by first showing that it holds for a base case (e.g. x=1) and then assuming that it holds for some arbitrary value of x (the induction hypothesis). From there, you can use algebraic techniques and the properties of logarithms to show that the inequality holds for x+1, thus proving the statement for all x>0.