Proving Stokes Theorem: The Intuition and Application

In summary, the theorem states that if you have a certain form over a certain space, and you want to integrate it over that space, then the integral over that space is the same as the integral over the boundary of that space.
Terilien
I was wondering as to how to prove stokes theorem in its general and smexy form.Also what is the intuition behind it(more important) aside from the fact that its a more general form of the other theorems from vector calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terilien said:
I was wondering as to how to prove stokes theorem in its general and smexy form.

I don't mean for the following to sound offensive in any way. However, given what we've gathered of your current mathematical ability (an implicitly fallible process since we know you only through your posts here), attempting to understand a rigorous proof of Stokes' theorem may be biting off more than you can chew at the moment. For instance, do you know anything about cycle or boundary groups?

Terilien said:
Also what is the intuition behind it(more important) aside from the fact that its a more general form of the other theorems from vector calculus?

Well, intuitively Stokes' theorem tells you that if you have some [itex]m[/itex]-dimensional manifold [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex] (which satisfies some technical requirements) and some [itex](m-1)[/itex]-dimensional form [itex]\alpha[/itex] (again which satisfies some technical requirements), then the integral of the exterior derivative of [itex]\alpha[/itex] over [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex] is equal to the integral of [itex]\alpha[/itex] over the boundary of [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex]:

[tex]\int_\mathcal{M} \,d\alpha = \int_{\partial\mathcal{M}}\alpha[/itex]

Pretty straightforward, no? A major application of this in physics is then that if the boundary of your manifold is empty, the right hand side of this vanishes. This fact is often a life saver in practical calculations.

It is probably beyond me at this moment as i don't know about those. I don't really mind. at least you were polite about it. so intuitively speaking it's just like the fundmanetal theorem?

I don't think I'll be ready for awhile, but this boredom is really getting to me. I literally have NOTHING to do in my math classes. Ok well whatever.

Thank you for your honesty.

However despite the intuitvie appeal, it upsets me because unlike the itntuitive appeal of other theorems, it doesn't seem sufficient( I didn't care about the proof of green's theorem because it was very obvious). Maybe my understanding just isn't deep enough.

Last edited:
the proof of greens theorem is all there is to proving stokes theorem.

i.e. the proof of stokes is just a parametrized version of the proof of greens in a rectangle.

it is indeed simply the FTC plus the trick of repeated integration.

i.e. ftc is stokes in one dimension, and repeated integration gives the higher diml case by induction.

parametrizing any manifold locally by maps from rectangles gives it on any manifold with boundary.

rigorous patching of these parameter maps is usually done nowadays by a trick called partitions of unity. this is the deep idea that if you take a function that equals 1 on the interval [1,2], and goes down linearly to 0, at 0 and 3, and if you add it to a similar function that equals 1 on the interval [3,4], and goes down to 0, at 2 and 5, you get a similar function that equals 1 all the way from 1 to 4.

If you keep this up, thus you have "partitioned" the unity function (the function 1) into several pieces.

this is all in spivak's calculus on manifolds, together with the language of "chains" for parametrized rectangles, but I think lang makes it look easier, in his Analysis I, appendix.

Last edited:
the "boundary" of a rectangle is just the 4 sides, each with some + and minus signs.

a chain is a parametrized rectangle, and so the boundary of a chain is just the parametrized boundary of the rectangle. attaching a + or minus sign to each one allows you to add them, even getting other integers attached to each one.

3 times a parametrized circle e.g. is like going around the circle three times. big whoop.

What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem, also known as the generalized Stoke's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. It is used to calculate line integrals in three-dimensional space.

Why is Stokes Theorem important?

Stokes Theorem is important because it allows us to evaluate difficult line integrals by converting them into surface integrals, which are often easier to calculate. It also has important applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What are the conditions for Stokes Theorem to hold?

In order for Stokes Theorem to hold, the surface must be smooth and orientable, and the vector field must be differentiable and continuous on the surface. Additionally, the boundary of the surface must be a simple, closed, and smooth curve.

How do you prove Stokes Theorem?

The proof of Stokes Theorem involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus and Green's Theorem to show that the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve is equal to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface bounded by the curve. This is known as the divergence theorem. Then, by applying the divergence theorem to a small region, we can show that it holds for any surface and curve, not just closed ones.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has many real-world applications, including calculating the circulation of a fluid flow around a closed path, finding the magnetic flux through a closed loop in an electromagnetic field, and determining the work done by a force on a moving object. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.