How to prove stuff about linear algebra?

In summary, to prove that if a set of vectors is linearly independent and another vector is in their span, then the set of modified vectors is also linearly independent. This can be proven by understanding that a linear combination of the modified vectors is also a linear combination of the original vectors plus the sum of the coefficients times the new vector. Therefore, the new vector must be in the span of the original vectors.
*melinda*
How to prove stuff about linear algebra?

Question:

Suppose [itex](v_1, v_2, ..., v_n)[/itex] is linearly independent in [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]w\in V[/itex].
Prove that if [itex](v_1 +w, v_2 +w, ..., v_n +w)[/itex] is linearly dependent, then [itex]w\in span(v_1, ...,v_n)[/itex].

To prove this I tried...

If [itex](v_1, v_2, ..., v_n)[/itex] is linearly independent then [itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n =0[/itex] for all [itex](a_1 , ..., a_n )=0[/itex].
then,
[itex]a_1 (v_1 +w)+a_2 (v_2 +w)+...+a_n (v_n +w)=0[/itex]
is not linearly independent, but can be rewritten as,
[itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n +(\sum a_i )w=0[/itex]
so,
[itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n = -(\sum a_i )w[/itex].
Since [itex]w[/itex] is a linear combination of vectors in [itex]V[/itex], [itex]w\in span(V)[/itex].

Did I do this right?
Is there a better way of doing this?
Any input is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is pretty much correct, but in this sentence:
*melinda* said:
If [itex](v_1, v_2, ..., v_n)[/itex] is linearly independent then [itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n =0[/itex] for all [itex](a_1 , ..., a_n )=0[/itex].
I think you mean to say:
If [itex](v_1, v_2, ..., v_n)[/itex] is linearly independent then [itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n =0[/itex] only when each [itex]a_i=0[/itex]

Yes, that would make a bit more sense. Sometimes I understand what I mean to do, but don't know how to say it. :rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch!

*melinda* said:

This is wrong. If the collection of vectors is independent, and if [itex]a_1 v_1 + ...+a_n v_n =0[/itex] then [itex]a_1 = a_2 = \cdots = 0[/itex].

1. How do I prove a vector is linearly independent?

To prove that a vector is linearly independent, you must show that it cannot be written as a linear combination of other vectors in the set. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and showing that the only solution is the trivial solution (all coefficients equal to 0).

2. What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set of vectors that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies these properties. In other words, a subspace is a smaller vector space within a larger vector space.

3. Can I use induction to prove properties of matrices?

Yes, induction can be used to prove properties of matrices. However, it is important to note that induction is typically used for finite sets, so you may need to limit the scope of your proof to a specific size or dimension of matrices.

4. How can I prove that two matrices are equal?

To prove that two matrices are equal, you must show that they have the same dimensions and the same entries in each corresponding position. This can be done by comparing each element of the matrices or by using properties of matrices, such as the distributive and associative properties.

5. Is it possible to prove that a matrix is invertible?

Yes, a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. Therefore, to prove that a matrix is invertible, you can calculate its determinant and show that it is non-zero. You can also use other properties of invertible matrices, such as having a unique solution to the equation Ax = b.