How to prove that friction is limiting

• Thread starter elemis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses how friction can affect a mass on an inclined plane and how to determine if friction is limiting based on information given about the tension in a string attached to the mass. The key is to calculate the new normal force and compare it to the friction force.
elemis
I know that friction is limiting when F =[tex] \mu [/tex]R

The problem I am is facing is as follows :

I am given an inclined plane with a mass in limiting equilibrium. A string is attached to it and has a tension in it acting PARALLEL to the surface of the plane.

I know the angle of inclination and it is a rough plane.

The first question will usually ask me to find the coefficient of friction or the normal force.

This I can do easily

The next question will be something like this :

The tension in the string is now reduced (they give a value for the new tension).

Determine if friction is still limiting.

How would I go about doing this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer this question, you need to calculate the new normal force acting on the mass on the inclined plane. This will be the sum of the component of the new tension in the direction of the plane plus the component of gravity acting on the mass. You can then compare this new normal force to the friction force between the mass and the plane, which is equal to \mu R (where \mu is the coefficient of friction and R is the normal force). If the new normal force is greater than \mu R, then friction is not limiting. If the new normal force is less than \mu R, then friction is limiting.

1. How do you measure the amount of friction in a system?

Friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the force required to move an object against a surface. This force is then divided by the weight of the object to determine the coefficient of friction.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction in a system?

The amount of friction in a system can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the presence of lubricants or rough spots on the surfaces.

3. How can you prove that friction is limiting?

One way to prove that friction is limiting is by conducting a simple experiment where you gradually increase the weight or force applied to an object and observe the corresponding increase in the friction force. Once the friction force reaches a maximum value and does not increase further, it can be concluded that friction is limiting.

4. Can friction be eliminated completely?

No, friction cannot be eliminated completely. Even in very smooth surfaces, such as ice, there is still a small amount of friction present. However, friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by designing surfaces to be as smooth as possible.

5. How does friction impact everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, as it allows us to walk, grip objects, and operate machinery. Without friction, we would not be able to move or control objects, and many of our daily activities would be impossible.