Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that the symmetry group of a regular polygon has only 1 and 2 dim irredu

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    how to prove that the symmetry group of a regular polygon has only 1 and 2 dim irreducible representations?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: how to prove that the symmetry group of a regular polygon has only 1 and 2 dim ir

The group in question, i.e. the dihedral group, has an abelian subgroup of index 2 (the one generated by the reflection). Thus any irreducible representation is at most 2 dimensional. I'll let you fill in the details. Post back if you need more help!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Re: how to prove that the symmetry group of a regular polygon has only 1 and 2 dim ir

Thanks a lot

maybe you mean the rotation subgroup is of index 2?

i will think of it.

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup - sorry! (The reflection subgroup has order 2!)

6. Oct 25, 2010 #5

but i still can not figure out the proof

any hint?

is there any theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook