How to Prove Sum of Binomials Equals 3^n

• Thread starter steven2006
  • Start date
In summary, the sum of binomials can be proved using mathematical induction and the formula for the sum is (a+b)^n = nC0 * a^n + nC1 * a^(n-1) * b + nC2 * a^(n-2) * b^2 + ... + nCn * b^n. An example of proving this is (1+x)^3 = 1 + 3x + 3x^2 + x^3. There is also a geometric interpretation and practical applications in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, and computer science.
steven2006
Prove that
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n \binom nk 2^k = 3^n, \quad n \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/tex]

Can anyone help me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the binomial theorem? This is a "yes" or "no, but I looked it up in google and now I do" question.

StatusX, thanks.
Sorry for the stupid question! Now i work it out.

1. How do you prove the sum of binomials equals 3^n?

The sum of binomials can be proved using mathematical induction. First, we prove that the statement is true for n=1. Then, we assume that it is true for some arbitrary integer k. Finally, we prove that it is true for k+1. This establishes the truth of the statement for all positive integers and proves that the sum of binomials equals 3^n.

2. What is the formula for the sum of binomials?

The formula for the sum of binomials is (a+b)^n = nC0 * a^n + nC1 * a^(n-1) * b + nC2 * a^(n-2) * b^2 + ... + nCn * b^n, where nCk represents the binomial coefficient. This formula is also known as the binomial theorem.

3. Can you provide an example of proving the sum of binomials equals 3^n?

Sure, let's take the sum (1+x)^3. Using the formula from question 2, we have (1+x)^3 = 3C0 * 1^3 + 3C1 * 1^2 * x + 3C2 * 1 * x^2 + 3C3 * x^3 = 1 + 3x + 3x^2 + x^3. This result can also be verified by expanding the binomial (1+x)(1+x)(1+x) and simplifying.

4. Is there a geometric interpretation of the sum of binomials?

Yes, the sum of binomials can be interpreted geometrically as the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects, where order does not matter and repetition is allowed. This is also known as the combination formula.

5. Are there any practical applications of the sum of binomials?

The sum of binomials has various applications in mathematics, statistics, and other fields. It is used in calculating probabilities, in generating functions, and in calculating coefficients in the expansion of polynomials. It also has applications in computer science, particularly in the analysis of algorithms and data structures.