How to prove the convergence of a factorial series using d'Alembert's criterion?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the speaker is trying to prove the convergence of the sum \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{n^{n}} using d'Alembert's criterion, but the limit is 1 which does not provide any conclusions. They mention that if they can prove \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n!} = 1, they will be able to prove the convergence. Another speaker suggests using \left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n \to e as n \to \infty as a hint.
twoflower
Hi all,

suppose the following sum:

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n!}{n^{n}}
[/tex]

I had a feeling it should converge, but I can't find a way how to prove that. I tried d'Alembert's criterion:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1 \Rightarrow \sum a_{n} converges
[/tex]

But the limit is 1 so it doesn't give anything. In fact, if I were able to prove that

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n!} = 1
[/tex]

I would have it. But I don't know how to make a prove of that...Which criterion or rule should I use here?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
twoflower said:
In fact, if I were able to prove that

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n!} = 1
[/tex]

I would have it.

Whoops, the limit isn't 1, it is infinity...

Check d'Alembert again.
[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}|[/itex] is smaller than 1.

Hint: Make use of: [itex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n \to e[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]

Galileo said:
Check d'Alembert again.
[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}|[/itex] is smaller than 1.

Hint: Make use of: [itex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n \to e[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]

Thank you Galileo, now I can see it goes to 1/e.

1. What is convergence and why is it important in science?

Convergence refers to the tendency of a system or process to approach a definite or stable state. In science, proving convergence is important because it helps us understand the behavior and outcomes of various systems and processes, and can also be used to make predictions about future behavior.

2. How do you prove convergence in a scientific study?

To prove convergence in a scientific study, we typically use mathematical or statistical methods to analyze data and determine if there is a pattern or trend in the results. This can involve calculating limits, rates of change, or other indicators of convergence, depending on the specific study.

3. Can you give an example of a scientific study that uses convergence?

One example of a scientific study that uses convergence is in the field of ecology. Ecologists often study the convergence of species, which refers to the process by which different species in similar environments evolve similar traits or characteristics. This can help us understand how different species adapt to their surroundings and how ecosystems function.

4. What are some challenges in proving convergence in scientific research?

One challenge in proving convergence in scientific research is the complexity of many systems and processes. It can be difficult to accurately measure and analyze all the variables involved, and there may be unexpected factors that influence the results. Additionally, there may be limitations in the data or methods used to study convergence.

5. How does proving convergence contribute to the overall understanding of a scientific concept or phenomenon?

Proving convergence helps us gain a deeper understanding of a scientific concept or phenomenon by providing evidence and support for a particular theory or hypothesis. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a system or process. Additionally, it can lead to further research and advancements in the field.