Defining Trig Funcs: Solving Problem 20-1, Part d

• Thread starter zhongbeyond
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, problem 20-1, part d involves solving for a trigonometric function by determining the value of the angle and then using the inverse trigonometric function to find the corresponding trigonometric value. This method is known as inverse function notation and is commonly used in solving trigonometric equations. By understanding the properties and relationships of trigonometric functions, one can successfully solve for unknown values in complex problems involving triangles and angles. It is important to remember the basic definitions and identities of trigonometric functions in order to effectively apply them in problem-solving.
zhongbeyond

Homework Statement

From introduction to analysis,by Arthur P. Mattuck,problem 20-1.

Problems 20-1
One way of rigorously defining the trigonometric functions is to start with the definition of the arctangent function. (This is the route used for example in the classic text Pure Mathematics by G. H. Hardy.)
So, assume amnesia has wiped out the trigonometric functions (but the rest of your knowledge of analysis is intact). Define
$$
T(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}
$$

(a) Prove T(x) is defined for all x and odd.
(b) Prove T(x) is continuous and differentiable, and find T(x).
(c) Prove T(x) is strictly increasing for all x; find where it is convex, where
concave, and its points of inflection.
(d) Show T(x) is bounded for all x, and |T(x)| < 2.5, using comparison
of integrals. Can you get a better bound?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck in the sub-problem (d) of this problem,especially the magic number 2.5,please help,thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

zhongbeyond said:

Homework Statement

From introduction to analysis,by Arthur P. Mattuck,problem 20-1.

Problems 20-1
One way of rigorously defining the trigonometric functions is to start with the definition of the arctangent function. (This is the route used for example in the classic text Pure Mathematics by G. H. Hardy.)
So, assume amnesia has wiped out the trigonometric functions (but the rest of your knowledge of analysis is intact). Define
$$
T(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}
$$

(a) Prove T(x) is defined for all x and odd.
(b) Prove T(x) is continuous and differentiable, and find T(x).
(c) Prove T(x) is strictly increasing for all x; find where it is convex, where
concave, and its points of inflection.
(d) Show T(x) is bounded for all x, and |T(x)| < 2.5, using comparison
of integrals. Can you get a better bound?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck in the sub-problem (d) of this problem,especially the magic number 2.5,please help,thanks.

I don't know where the 2.5 arises; I get instead 1.875, by using 1/(1+t^2) < 1/t^2 for t >= 1 and by choosing an appropriate, simple g(t) such that 1/(1+t^2) <= g(t) on [0,1].

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I don't know where the 2.5 arises; I get instead 1.875, by using 1/(1+t^2) < 1/t^2 for t >= 1 and by choosing an appropriate, simple g(t) such that 1/(1+t^2) <= g(t) on [0,1].

RGV

Thanks for replying,I finally solve it through help of dr.math(http://mathforum.org/dr.math/)

Break the inteval [0,x] to [0,a] + [a,x].
$$
T(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}=
\int_{0}^{a}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}+\int_{a}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}
$$

For the first inteval [0,a], $$ \frac{1}{1+t^{2}} <= 1 $$
For the second inteval [a,x], $$ \frac{1}{1+t^{2}} <= \frac{1}{t^{2}} $$

and change the value of a will get the magic value 2.5

zhongbeyond said:
Thanks for replying,I finally solve it through help of dr.math(http://mathforum.org/dr.math/)

Break the inteval [0,x] to [0,a] + [a,x].
$$
T(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}=
\int_{0}^{a}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}+\int_{a}^{x}\frac{dt}{1+t^{2}}
$$

For the first inteval [0,a], $$ \frac{1}{1+t^{2}} <= 1 $$
For the second inteval [a,x], $$ \frac{1}{1+t^{2}} <= \frac{1}{t^{2}} $$

and change the value of a will get the magic value 2.5

OK, but the way I got 1.875 was to use 1/(1+t^2) <= g(t) on [0,1], where g(t) = 1 for 0 <= t <= 1/2 and g(t) = 3/2 - t for 1/2 < t <= 1 (and 1/t^2 for t > 1) The integral of g(t) over [0,1] is 7/8.

RGV

1. What is the purpose of defining trigonometric functions in problem 20-1, part d?

The purpose of defining trigonometric functions in this problem is to understand how to use trigonometric ratios to solve real-world problems involving right triangles. By defining the functions, we can apply them to situations where we need to find missing sides or angles in a triangle.

2. What are the three main trigonometric functions?

The three main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

3. How do you solve for a missing side or angle using trigonometric functions?

To solve for a missing side or angle, we use the trigonometric functions and the known sides or angles of a right triangle. We can use inverse trigonometric functions to find an angle measure, or use trigonometric ratios to find a missing side length. It is important to remember to use the correct trigonometric function based on the known information.

4. What is the difference between sine and cosine functions?

The main difference between sine and cosine functions is the angle used in their calculations. Sine is calculated using the opposite side and the hypotenuse, while cosine is calculated using the adjacent side and the hypotenuse. In terms of graphing, the sine function produces a wave-like curve, while the cosine function produces a more symmetric curve.

5. How can trigonometric functions be applied in real-life situations?

Trigonometric functions can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in architecture, engineering, and navigation. For example, architects use trigonometric functions to determine the height and length of a building, engineers use them to calculate forces and angles in structures, and sailors use them to navigate using the stars and compass directions.