How to prove the value of Gamma(1/4)?

• Thread starter bit188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the problem was attempting to prove that Gamma(1/4) is approximately equal to 3.625 using integration, but the attempts were unsuccessful and it was concluded that the exact value of Gamma(1/4) cannot be expressed in terms of common transcendental functions, making numerical integration the best option. The asker was not looking for an approximation, but rather was intrigued by the function for nonpractical reasons.
bit188

Homework Statement

Self-given problem; I want to prove that Gamma (1/4) is approxiamately equal to 3.625, but can't seem to integrate it properly...

Gamma(z) = (integral between infinity and 0) (t^z-1)(e^-t) dt
(http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function)

Homework Equations

Gamma(n+1) = n Gamma (n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried an integration by substitution and an integration by parts, and no luck!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to integrate
[tex]\int_0^\infty t^{-3/4}e^{-t}dt[/tex]

What do you mean by "approxiamately equal to 3.625". If that is really what you want to get that, then use a numerical integration.

2. That is not the only relevant bit of information, but hey, what the heck (it needs to be an analytic continuation).

3. What makes you think anything but a numerical approximation will work?

No, I want to get the real value :P

When I do an integration by parts, I get

(-3/4)(t^6/4) + (3/4)(t^-1/2)(e^-t), which is not the right answer...

[itex] \Gamma\left(\frac{1}{4}\right) [/itex] cannot be expressed in terms of values of common transcendental functions.

Really? Well, I suppose I'd better learn more math, then. >_<

Thanks anyhow!

You sure you don't just want it approximately?

Numerical integration would be fine for a few decimal places >.< good enough lol

Nah... I'm pretty intrigued by this particular function. I'm interested for nonpractical reasons. Thanks though! ^_^

1. What is Gamma(1/4)?

Gamma(1/4) is the gamma function evaluated at 1/4. The gamma function is a special mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers.

2. Why is proving the value of Gamma(1/4) important?

Proving the value of Gamma(1/4) is important because it is a fundamental mathematical constant that has many applications in fields such as physics, statistics, and engineering. It also helps to understand the behavior of other special functions and can lead to new mathematical discoveries.

3. How is the value of Gamma(1/4) calculated?

The value of Gamma(1/4) is usually calculated using numerical methods, such as the Lanczos approximation or the Stirling approximation. These methods involve using a series of calculations to approximate the value of the gamma function at a specific point.

4. What are some real-world applications of Gamma(1/4)?

Gamma(1/4) has many important applications in fields such as physics, statistics, and engineering. For example, it is used in the calculation of probabilities and in the study of radioactive decay in physics. It is also used in the design of filters and signal processing in engineering.

5. How can the value of Gamma(1/4) be proven?

The value of Gamma(1/4) can be proven using various mathematical techniques, such as contour integration, series expansions, and functional equations. These methods involve using properties of the gamma function and other mathematical tools to derive the value of Gamma(1/4) from first principles.