How to prove this property of the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

In summary, the property of Strenght Field Tensors states that the contraction of the tensor and its dual is equal to a fraction of the dual of the tensor. This relation holds true for antisymmetric matrices, as demonstrated by a formal proof using the Levi-Civita symbol and the properties of antisymmetric matrices.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
Hi, I've found this property of Strenght Field Tensors:
$$F_{\mu}^{\nu}\tilde{F}_{\nu}^{\lambda}=-\frac{1}{4}\delta_{\mu}^{\lambda}F^{\alpha\beta}\tilde{F}_{\alpha\beta}$$

Where $$\tilde{F}_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}F^{\alpha\beta}, \qquad \varepsilon_{0123}=1$$

I've tried to prove this relation but I can't find a way to do it. I have done specific cases for 4x4 antisymmetric matrices and it seems to work, but I would appreciate having a formal proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very dangerous to write the left-hand side of the 1st equation in this sloppy way. The ##F_{\mu \nu}## are antisymmetric and not symmetric. So it's important to keep the horizontal position of the indices carefully intact. So I can only gues, what you want to calculate (it will anyway only flip the sign, if you have a different contraction in mind):

$${F^{\nu}}_{\mu} {\tilde{F}_{\nu}}^{\lambda} = F_{\nu \mu} \tilde{F}^{\nu \lambda} =\frac{1}{2} F_{\nu \mu} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \nu \lambda} F_{\alpha \beta}=-\frac{1}{4} \epsilon_{\nu \mu \gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \nu \lambda} \bar{F}^{\gamma \delta} F_{\alpha \beta}=-\frac{1}{4} \delta_{\mu \gamma \delta}^{\lambda \alpha \beta}\bar{F}^{\gamma \delta} F_{\alpha \beta}=-\frac{1}{4} \delta_{\mu}^{\lambda} \tilde{F}^{\alpha \beta}F_{\alpha \beta}.$$

Likes Gaussian97 and dextercioby
Ok, thanks! That is exactly what I want! Sorry for the notation 😅

1. What is the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

The Dual Strength Field Tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the electromagnetic field. It is a rank-2 antisymmetric tensor that combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single entity.

2. What is the significance of proving a property of the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

Proving a property of the Dual Strength Field Tensor allows us to better understand the behavior of the electromagnetic field and make accurate predictions about its interactions with matter. It also helps to validate the mathematical framework used to describe the field.

3. How can one prove a property of the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

Proving a property of the Dual Strength Field Tensor involves using mathematical techniques such as vector calculus, tensor algebra, and differential equations. It also requires a thorough understanding of the physical principles underlying the electromagnetic field.

4. What are some common properties that are proven for the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

Some common properties that are proven for the Dual Strength Field Tensor include its symmetry and antisymmetry, its transformation properties under rotations and Lorentz transformations, and its relationship with the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the properties of the Dual Strength Field Tensor?

Understanding the properties of the Dual Strength Field Tensor has numerous practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and particle physics. It allows us to design and optimize devices that utilize electromagnetic fields, such as antennas and MRI machines, and to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators.