Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    I need help on trying to prove

that every subsequence of a cauchy sequence is a cauchy sequence

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2
    If [itex]\{x_{n_{k}}\}[/itex] is a subsequence of {[tex]x_{n}[/tex]}, then for all [tex]k[/tex], [tex]n_{k} \ge k[/tex]. So the '[tex]N[/tex]' that works for {[tex]x_{n}[/tex]} also works for {[tex]x_{n_{k}}[/tex]}

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  4. Mar 21, 2005 #3
    is that how you would write a formal proof or would you the for any epsilon>0 there exists an n in i such that abs(sm-sn)<epsilon

5. Mar 21, 2005 #4
    The answer to that depends on the audience. What is your situation?

6. Mar 21, 2005 #5
    college level for a real analysis class

7. Mar 21, 2005 #6
    Please note the small change I made in the proof. At the undergraduate level, probably the full [tex]\epsilon[/tex] treatment would be best. Are you up to it?

8. Mar 21, 2005 #7
    Yes we are up to that part but i'm not sure how to even start it. Do we need to say for all [tex]\epsilon[/tex]> there exists a n,m /geqN such that abs(Snk-Smk)<E?

9. Mar 21, 2005 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd start with the definition of a subsequence.
    Also, always write down the hypothesis (what you know) and what you need to prove:

Let [itex]\{x_{n_k}\}[/itex] be a subsequence of [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex].

You are given that for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists an integer N>0, such that:

[tex]m,n > N \Rightarrow |x_n-x_m|<\epsilon[/itex]

You need to prove that for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] there exists an integer N>0, such that:

[tex]m_k,n_k > N \Rightarrow |x_{n_k}-x_{m_k}|<\epsilon[/tex]

All I've done is written down the problem in different terms, but the answer is practically staring you in the face (hopefully).

10. Mar 21, 2005 #9
    I'm just starting to use tex and I only know what I see in other people's examples. Your stuff is nice and I learned a lot from it. Do you know of a Windows utility that will take a tex source file and create a pdf file from it?

11. Mar 21, 2005 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, WinEdt will do that for you. I think you have to register it or something. I use it often to create pdf's.
    The only advantage of not registering is annoying popup reminders every 15 seconds or so. I actually use a different editor and use only WinEdt for creating the pdf's.

12. Mar 21, 2005 #11
    Thanks, I will look into winedt. In the meantime, I found a fairly large package called miktex which has a utility with the unlikely name of pdftex that turns tex into pdf.

13. Mar 21, 2005 #12
    TeXnic Center is the IDE that I use in general. It has full TeX-to-pdf capability and is built to work with Miktex as well (it requires a TeX install to work, of course). Free too~

It's a little hard to find these days though (although it is quite popular).

If you want, I can probably find somewhere to host it for a few days. It's only about 5mb.

14. Mar 22, 2005 #13

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't, as far as I can recall (linux for the last 3 years), need any of those IDE's or such. To use latex on MS you need Miktex installed. That comes with the program pdflatex, I think, that creates the pdf for you. It means learning to love the command line though. just type

pdflatex foo.tex

from inside the directory where foo.tex is stored and it outputs a pdf file for you. The installation also comes with dvips which creates a post script file from the pdf. There are other format generators too, including latex2html, though i've no idea if anyone acutally uses this anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?