How to read modern condensed matter field research

In summary, to supplement the standard text of Peskin and Schroeder, I recommend looking into resources such as "Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics" by Alexei Tsvelik, "Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems" by Xiao-Gang Wen, and "An Introduction to Topological Quantum Field Theory" by Ingo Runkel. It is also beneficial to keep up with current research through reading papers from leading journals and attending conferences and seminars.
paralleltransport
TL;DR Summary
I'd like some advice on supplementing self learning.
Hi all,
(I also posted this in the high energy theory section since my impression is there is a deep interplay between modern condensed matter theory and high energy theory).

Some background: I'm interested in the interplay between condensed matter and high energy theory. I'm a bit more than half-way through peskin and schroeder, the standard QFT text (done with part II, RG and critical phenomena).

What I find out is that I'm still sorely lacking in ability to read any of the current research in condensed matter.

A lot of the modern papers uses CFT, TQFT knowledge, and intuition about topological phases and entanglement/phase transition, phases of gauge theory (confinement etc...) and exotic field theory models.

It seems to make progress I'd like some idea of what I can study further, aka supplement a "standard" QFT text like Peskin & Schroeder to enrich my understanding.

What resource do you recommend to supplement a standard text like Peskin and Schroeder to modern condensed matter field research?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your interest in the interplay between condensed matter and high energy theory. It is indeed a fascinating and rapidly developing field.

To supplement your understanding of modern condensed matter research, I would recommend looking into the following resources:

1. "Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics" by Alexei Tsvelik: This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the use of quantum field theory in condensed matter physics, covering topics such as topological phases, quantum Hall effect, and conformal field theory.

2. "Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems" by Xiao-Gang Wen: This book discusses the use of quantum field theory in understanding many-body systems, including topics such as topological phases, quantum spin liquids, and entanglement.

3. "An Introduction to Topological Quantum Field Theory" by Ingo Runkel: This book provides an introduction to topological quantum field theory, which has found applications in condensed matter physics, particularly in the study of topological phases and topological quantum computation.

Additionally, I would recommend keeping up with current research by reading papers from leading journals such as Physical Review Letters, Nature Physics, and Science. Attending conferences and seminars in the field is also a great way to learn about the latest developments and network with other researchers.

I hope this helps in enriching your understanding of modern condensed matter research. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is condensed matter field research?

Condensed matter field research is a branch of science that focuses on studying the physical properties of materials in a condensed state, such as solids and liquids. This field encompasses a wide range of topics, including the behavior of atoms and molecules, the properties of materials at different temperatures and pressures, and the development of new materials for various applications.

2. Why is it important to read modern condensed matter field research?

Reading modern condensed matter field research allows scientists to stay updated on the latest findings and developments in the field. This knowledge is crucial for advancing our understanding of materials and their properties, as well as for developing new technologies and applications.

3. What are some common techniques used in condensed matter field research?

Some common techniques used in condensed matter field research include X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, and spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the structure, composition, and properties of materials at a microscopic level.

4. How can I improve my understanding of complex scientific papers in condensed matter field research?

Improving your understanding of complex scientific papers in condensed matter field research takes practice and patience. Some tips to help include breaking down the paper into smaller sections, looking up unfamiliar terms and concepts, and discussing the paper with colleagues or experts in the field.

5. What are some current hot topics in condensed matter field research?

Some current hot topics in condensed matter field research include the study of topological materials, the development of new techniques for manipulating materials at the nanoscale, and the exploration of quantum materials and their potential applications in quantum computing.