Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to read Thermodynamic property tables?

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    I cant remember for the life of me how to read Themodynamic property tables!

I want to find answers to questions for example: What is the internal energy of 1kg of saturated steam at 10 bar or 3kg of water at 130C

Can anyone help or know of any good websites which has information on how to read the tables?

Thanks alot,

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Mass is usually not part of what you need when looking up items in the tables since everything is pretty much per unit mass, i.e. kJ/kg.

Most tables I have seen are pretty straight forward. What exactly troubles you?
  4. Jul 8, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

Yes, Fred is right, the units you are given will be per mass, kJ/kg. You are typically given three seperate tables for water. Superheated steam, saturated liquid, and compressed solid (I think that's what it's called). Since you are looking for steam, you go to the steam tables. What you will typically have is a lot of little charts for each pressures. So, go and find the chart of 10 bar and then look for your temperature.
  5. Jul 8, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

As Fred and minger pointed out, the thermodynamic properties in steam tables are given in terms of specific properties, or property per unit mass.

Here is as site that discusses steam tables - http://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/steam_tables.htm

To get the internal enregy (U) of a mass (m) of water/steam - multiply the specific internal energy (u) by mass m, i.e. U = m u.

Some interpolation may be necessary.

The are other sites, but most require membership (often for a fee) to use their lookup tables or calculators.

Google on "steam tables".
  6. Jul 9, 2005 #5
    SteamTab is the excellent tool I use day in and day out. I need not have to strain my eyes looking at the long list in the tables. Put the values and click the button, voila, the data appears. The fully functional demo version gives you data about water, saturated steam, subcooled superheated steam.

Good luck,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?