How to read Thermodynamic property tables?

In summary, RobMass says that you should look for the charts in the table that correspond to the pressure you are looking for, and that Google can help you find more information on the tables.
rc flyer uk
I can't remember for the life of me how to read Themodynamic property tables!

I want to find answers to questions for example: What is the internal energy of 1kg of saturated steam at 10 bar or 3kg of water at 130C

Can anyone help or know of any good websites which has information on how to read the tables?

Thanks alot,

Rob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mass is usually not part of what you need when looking up items in the tables since everything is pretty much per unit mass, i.e. kJ/kg.

Most tables I have seen are pretty straight forward. What exactly troubles you?

Yes, Fred is right, the units you are given will be per mass, kJ/kg. You are typically given three separate tables for water. Superheated steam, saturated liquid, and compressed solid (I think that's what it's called). Since you are looking for steam, you go to the steam tables. What you will typically have is a lot of little charts for each pressures. So, go and find the chart of 10 bar and then look for your temperature.

As Fred and minger pointed out, the thermodynamic properties in steam tables are given in terms of specific properties, or property per unit mass.

Here is as site that discusses steam tables - http://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/steam_tables.htm

To get the internal enregy (U) of a mass (m) of water/steam - multiply the specific internal energy (u) by mass m, i.e. U = m u.

Some interpolation may be necessary.

The are other sites, but most require membership (often for a fee) to use their lookup tables or calculators.

Google on "steam tables".

SteamTab is the excellent tool I use day in and day out. I need not have to strain my eyes looking at the long list in the tables. Put the values and click the button, voila, the data appears. The fully functional demo version gives you data about water, saturated steam, subcooled superheated steam.

http://www.chemicalogic.com/steamtab/demo.htm [Broken]

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I use thermodynamic property tables?

To use thermodynamic property tables, you first need to identify the substance or material you are working with. Then, find the table that corresponds to that substance. Next, locate the specific property you want to know and read the corresponding values from the table. Finally, use the appropriate units and conversions to apply the values to your calculations or analysis.

2. What do the different columns and rows in a thermodynamic property table represent?

The columns in a thermodynamic property table represent the different properties of the substance, such as temperature, pressure, enthalpy, entropy, and specific volume. The rows represent the values for each of these properties at different states or conditions, such as different temperatures or pressures.

3. How do I interpret the values in a thermodynamic property table?

The values in a thermodynamic property table represent the properties of a substance at a specific state or condition. The values for each property are usually given in units such as temperature (K or °C), pressure (bar or Pa), enthalpy (kJ/kg), entropy (kJ/kg K), and specific volume (m3/kg). It is important to pay attention to the units and make any necessary conversions when using the values in calculations or analysis.

4. Can thermodynamic property tables be used for any substance?

Thermodynamic property tables are typically only available for common substances such as water, air, and various gases. However, some tables may also include properties for less common substances. It is important to make sure that the table you are using corresponds to the substance you are working with.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of using thermodynamic property tables?

One advantage of using thermodynamic property tables is that they provide a quick and easy way to access the properties of a substance at different states or conditions. They can also be used to estimate properties for intermediate states within the range given in the table. However, a limitation is that the values in the table are only valid for the specific ranges of temperature and pressure given, and may not accurately represent the properties outside of those ranges.