How to rearrange this trig function?

In summary, to find the properties of the given trigonometric function, start by rearranging it in the general form of y = a sin(bx - c) + d. In this case, the function can be rearranged to y = -2sin[\frac{2\pi}{3}*(t+1)]. From this form, the period can be determined to be 3 units, as the coefficient in front of the variable is the reciprocal of the period. The amplitude is 0, meaning the graph will have a constant value of 0 and no oscillation. The maximum and minimum values are 2 and -2 respectively, and the range is given by {-2<=y<=2}. The domain is all
aisha
How do I rearrange this where do I begin?

[tex] y= -2sin [ 2\pi * \frac {(t+1)} {3} ] [/tex]

I need to state the period, amplitude, max/min, range, domain, horizontal phase shift, and vertical displacement

Im not sure how to rearrange the square brackets.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would distribute the [tex]2\pi[/tex] and then separate the terms into the form of [tex]-2\sin{(At + B)}[/tex]. A and B will both be fractions, but setting it up in that way will allow you to more easily find all of the things you are looking for.

EDIT: The below method could be easier for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
aisha said:
How do I rearrange this where do I begin?

[tex] y= -2sin [ 2\pi * \frac {(t+1)} {3} ] [/tex]

I need to state the period, amplitude, max/min, range, domain, horizontal phase shift, and vertical displacement

Im not sure how to rearrange the square brackets.
rearrange it like this.
[tex] y= -2sin [ \frac{2\pi}{3} *(t+1) ] [/tex]
If you're still stuck, http://www.jmp.com/news/jmpercable/07_fall2000/regression.html for some help

the general form for a sine function is

y = a sin(bx - c) + d

what do each of these letters (a, b, c, and d) do?

what are the values of a, b, c, and d for the function you wrote down? you may need to do some distributing to get into this general form.

Thanks so much that is a BIG HUGE HELP :rofl:

I needed to find the properties of this trig function this is what i got

period=3
amplitude=0
max=2
min=-2
range{y:-2<=y<=2}
domain {x:XER}
horizontal phase shift 1 unit left
no vertical shift

Are these values correct? Should period have a unit with it or is just 3 fine? What about the amplitude is 0 amplitude possible?

1. How do I rearrange a trig function?

To rearrange a trig function, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and combining like terms. You may also need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging a trig function?

Rearranging a trig function allows you to manipulate the equation to solve for a specific variable or to simplify the expression. This can be useful in solving trigonometric equations or evaluating complex trigonometric expressions.

3. How do I know which algebraic technique to use when rearranging a trig function?

The specific algebraic technique you will need to use will depend on the structure of the trig function. For example, if the function contains fractions, you may need to use the common denominator method. It is important to carefully examine the expression and choose the appropriate technique.

4. Can I rearrange a trig function in different ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to rearrange a trig function. However, it is important to check your work and make sure the final rearranged expression is equivalent to the original function.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rearranging a trig function?

Yes, common mistakes when rearranging a trig function include incorrect use of trigonometric identities, forgetting to distribute negative signs, and making errors in algebraic calculations. It is important to carefully check each step and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.