How to recycle effectively (Lip service?)

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary, up to 20% of UK recycled waste ends up in landfill because it is "contaminated". This means that there is non-recyclable material mixed in the cans, bottles, paper, etc. This is surprising because I have lived in Essex and Sussex and been recycling for many years, but the instructions that the council supply for residents are sketchy and really don't help. For instance, how 'clean' should glass bottles be? Washing in hot soapy water involves extra cost and should be discouraged if all they need is a rinse; not specified. Plastic containers often have "widely recycled" written on them, but this is not always accurate. It might be expensive to separate the various types of
Andy SV said:
I think it's fun to recycle directly. I have used cans for shims and gallon glass jugs are awesome for sun tea. Cereal boxes can make a nice gasket. An empty bag of chips or crisps may or may not have become a vacuum diaphragm.
There is nothing that cannot be used for anything else. My shed is full of reusable (and actually reused) items. I was very pleased to be able to mend the mechanism for lifting the sink plug in our bathroom when the lifting lever had corroded and fallen to pieces, yesterday. An old screwdriver shaft was just the right size to fit. There is no way I could have found a replacement bit in a shop. I would likely have had to buy a whole new sink and taps. All it cost me was a smear of epoxy resin to fix the ball seal. My Dad showed me how to use a cereal packet to replace a car water pump gasket, way back in the 60s. Not so easy to do that sort of thing these days with cars, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy SV said:
I think it's fun to recycle directly. I have used cans for shims and gallon glass jugs are awesome for sun tea. Cereal boxes can make a nice gasket. An empty bag of chips or crisps may or may not have become a vacuum diaphragm.
You can go further while showering. Get yourself just wet-enough, turn off the water, put soap on yourself, then rinse off and done. I estimate a saving of some 60%. EDIT: Not strictly recycling, more like pre-cycling, i.e., using less to start with..

I have a small tub and I like some relaxing rub a dub dub
Plus I water with it

Andy SV said:
I have a small tub and I like some relaxing rub a dub dub
Plus I water with it
Sorry, it was intended for all other than fairy-tale characters ;).

WWGD said:
You can go further while showering. Get yourself just wet-enough, turn off the water, put soap on yourself, then rinse off and done. I estimate a saving of some 60%. EDIT: Not strictly recycling, more like pre-cycling, i.e., using less to start with..
Can there be any other way? If the shower is on constantly, all the shower gel washes off before you can 'scrub'.

sophiecentaur said:
Can there be any other way? If the shower is on constantly, all the shower gel washes off before you can 'scrub'.
You can always leave certain parts of your body of the water in the process or expose it only lightly. Sort of like the way people wash their hands while leaving the water full-on.

WWGD said:
You can always leave certain parts of your body of the water in the process or expose it only lightly. Sort of like the way people wash their hands while leaving the water full-on.
True - if you have a large shower cubicle. Ours is too small to escape the jets unless you point it at the wall. I can't bring myself to be so wasteful. Washing hands under a running tap can waste an awful lot of water.

Likes WWGD
sophiecentaur said:
True - if you have a large shower cubicle. Ours is too small to escape the jets unless you point it at the wall. I can't bring myself to be so wasteful. Washing hands under a running tap can waste an awful lot of water.
I cringe when I see some people leaving the water running at full speed while brushing their teeth. I just wet it before and after. But it seems socially out-of-line to say anything. I am not that socially adroit.

Likes sophiecentaur
I would like to see self shutting taps
Ones that wold slowly turn off in about three seconds but had an option to lock on by pulling up

Likes sophiecentaur
WWGD said:
I cringe when I see some people leaving the water running at full speed while brushing their teeth. I just wet it before and after. But it seems socially out-of-line to say anything. I am not that socially adroit.
You have our full permission to be as grumpy about it as you like. I have been telling my wife about that for forty years+ and she seldom remembers.
Andy SV said:
I would like to see self shutting taps
Ones that wold slowly turn off in about three seconds but had an option to lock on by pulling up
Those taps that need constant pushing are totally useless for hand washing and the plug is always missing in pubs!

sophiecentaur said:
You have our full permission to be as grumpy about it as you like. I have been telling my wife about that for forty years+ and she seldom remembers.
A happy ending to this story. She now takes great care about running taps.
AditiSharma said:
Let's keep working together to ensure that our efforts to recycle are making a positive impact on the environment
I am not optimistic about this or anything else about our environment, aamof. People, and the people they elect to be politicians, are incapable of thinking ahead. Their decisions are based on today's pleasure, rather than tomorrow's repercussions.

Likes PeroK
sophiecentaur said:
I am not optimistic about this or anything else about our environment, aamof. People, and the people they elect to be politicians, are incapable of thinking ahead. Their decisions are based on today's pleasure, rather than tomorrow's repercussions.
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we are now effectively entrenched (as a world society) into an unsustainable way of life. Sometime in the past 40 years there needed to be a complete sea-change in perspective of our place in the natural world. To resolve as a world community not to destroy the conditions that sustain human life. That hasn't happened.

If we reran recent history 100 times would it ever have happened? Or, is the destruction of our environment an inevitable consequence of some fundamental weakness as a species? Despite our intelligence and the apparent possibility of action, we seem like helpless animals, unable to stop ourselves over-consuming.

• Sad
Likes dlgoff