Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to repair Led Bulb

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    I am trying to repair a A15 LED Bulb rated 5 WATT 46 MA 120 Volt. It runs on 30 Volt DC it has 5 cells inside one is not working so based on this information each cell needs 6 volts so the remaining 4 good cells will burn with 24 volts which I applied and my ammeter says 90 MA I know not how accurate this is. If one puts 2 Led's rated 20 Ma at 3 volts in series this would handle the volts, but how many of these sets would one need to handle the amps maybe 5 I am thinking or could one put a 1 Watt resistor rated 40-70 ohms?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2
    I don't know your exact set-up, but LEDs are commonly powered by a current source. Your 30VDC reading was probably a measurement made when there was no LED load. Take another measurement when the LEDs are lit.

There's a good chance that you can simply put the remaining four LEDs in series with the "36VDC" supply - because that supply is actually a current supply. But verify this first to avoid damaging you lighting.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a battery powered lamp right?

If it has a replaceable bulb rated at 120V but is powered by a 30V battery then is there a circuit that steps up the voltage?

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4
    The power supply puts out 43 volts DC when not connected to Leds when connected to Leds it drops to 30 volts DC. I soldiered two wires on each side of the bad led and connected them to 8 - 20 ma 3 volt T5 style leds and it seems to work how long I do not know. I have know idea what is in the base of these lamps I do know they get warm down on the base so electricity is wasted as heat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook