1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to research a topic

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    Ive just recently "discovered" pubmed and it is so amazing. I want to know if there is a kind of "pubmed for art humanities" or any other subject for that matter? Or do humanities even publish papers like the science community does? FOr example, where can I read papers on linguistics, or history, or drama or other subjects that aren't considered sciences?
    Can someone provide just a really basic overview of how research and academic information is done or should be done, how its organized etc? Also what are the main go-to sites that I should be using? (for example, ive heard of "JSTOR" .. is that basically for anything non-science or something/?
    thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Does "any other subject" include particle physics, astrophysics and several related fields?
    arXiv - it is "just" a preprint server, but 100% of particle physics publications are uploaded there, so it became the standard website to search for publications (and things where the publication process is still ongoing). It works very well.
    JSTOR has some open access content, but often you can just read the abstract without subscription.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you tried Google Scholar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook